||Jack B. Tenney
"Mexicali Rose" is a popular song with music by Jack Tenney and lyrics by Helen Stone, published in 1923. The song is a love story of a man who must leave his love for a while. The chorus:
- Mexicali Rose, stop crying;
- I'll come back to you some sunny day.
- Ev'ry night you'll know that I'll be pining,
- Ev'ry hour a year while I'm away,
- Dry those big brown eyes and smile, dear,
- Banish all those tears and please don't sigh,
- Kiss me once again and hold me;
- Mexicali Rose goodbye.
- Rosa de Mexicali no llores;
- Piensa que muy pronto volveré,
- Y que siempre triste sin consuelo,
- Cada noche y dia yo pasaré,
- Seca tus hermosos ojos,
- Deja de llorar y suspirar.
- Bésame otra vez y estréchame;
- Rosa de Mexicali, adios.
||Manuel Sanchs De Lara (trans)
The song has become a pop standard, performed by many artists, including Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, and Jerry Lee Lewis.
- ^ a b Stone, "Mexicali Rose".
- Stone, Helen; Tenny, Jack B. "Mexicali Rose". Chicago: M.M. Cole Publishing Co. (1923).