|Out of service:||1890|
|Fate:||Sank in 1890|
|Displacement:||400 long tons (410 t)|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
On 9 December 1886, the Mexico was on its way from Liverpool to Guayaquil, Ecuador when it was caught in a storm. Lifeboats were launched from Lytham, St. Annes and Southport to rescue the crew. The Lytham lifeboat Charles Biggs, which was on her maiden rescue, rescued the twelve crew but both the St. Annes lifeboat Laura Janet and the Southport lifeboat Eliza Fernley were capsized, and 27 of the 29 crew were drowned. To date, this is the worst loss of RNLI crew in a single incident. Mexico came ashore off Birkdale, opposite the Birkdale Palace Hotel.
Sixteen women were left widows, and fifty children lost their fathers. Queen Victoria and the Kaiser sent their condolences to the families of the lifeboatmen. An appeal was launched to raise money to provide a memorial to those killed, and the organisation by Sir Charles Macara of the first street collections in Manchester in 1891 led to the first flag days. The disaster has a permanent memorial in Lytham St. Annes lifeboat house. An appeal has been launched by the Lytham St. Annes Civic Society for the restoration of four of the memorials.
Memorials to the tragedy were erected on the Promenade at St. Annes, in the lifeboat house at Lytham St. Annes, in St. Annes parish church, in St Cuthbert's Churchyard, Lytham and at Layton Cemetery. A further memorial was erected at Duke Street Cemetery, Southport.
- "'Mexico' Disaster Memorials Appeal". Justgiving. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "The Mexico disaster of 1886". Martyn Griff. Retrieved 25 November 2009.
- Willis, Jane. "Coast – North West England – Liverpool to the Solway Firth". BBC. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "'Worst lifeboat disaster' service". BBC News Online. 10 December 2006. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "APPEAL FOR THE CONSERVATION OF THE 'MEXICO' DISASTER GRAVESIDE MEMORIALS.". Lytham St. Annes Civic Society. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- Willis, Jane. "Lifeboat tragedy remembered". The Citizen. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- "North West England – Liverpool to the Solway Firth". BBC. Retrieved 15 March 2008.[dead link]