Mexifornia (also Calexico or Califaztlán) is a Portmanteau and Neologism of Mexico and California, which refers to what some see as the Mexicanization/Hispanicization of the U.S. state of California as a result of increased legal and especially illegal migration of Mexican and other Hispanic people into California and the transformation of many aspects of the culture of the state.
Mexifornia is seen as a state level version of what is now known as Amexica, the merging of America and Mexico;
"The United States of “Amexica” share more than a border and a common heritage: both sides welcome the benefits of trade but struggle with the pressures of growth". Time magazine.
The term has entered popular culture and the business world with the founding of the Mexifornia clothing company, started in 2005 by Steve Rogers.
- Anti-Mexican sentiment
- Chicano Movement
- Chicano nationalism
- Immigration to the United States
- La Raza
- Reconquista (Mexico)
- ^ “A Country of 24 Million”. Time magazine, vol. 157, no. 23, p. 46, June 11, 2001.
- ^ Mexifornia: A State of Becoming by Victor Davis Hanson ISBN 1-893554-73-2
- ^ Mexifornia: A State of Confusion a Commentary by Walter A. Ewing, Ph.D
- ^ MacLachlan, Colin M.; Jaime E. Rodriguez O. (1980). The Forging of the Cosmic Race: A Reinterpretation of Colonial Mexico. Berkeley: University of California Press. ISBN 0-520-04280-8.