|No. 11 – Portland Trail Blazers|
February 27, 1992 |
|Listed height||7 ft 1 in (2.16 m)|
|Listed weight||245 lb (111 kg)|
|High school||Robinson (Robinson, Illinois)|
|NBA draft||2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 11th overall|
|Selected by the Portland Trail Blazers|
|2012–present||Portland Trail Blazers|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Meyers Patrick Leonard (born February 27, 1992) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Portland Trail Blazers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played college basketball for the University of Illinois. He was selected by the Portland Trail Blazers with the 11th overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft.
Leonard, born in Woodbridge, Virginia, grew up in Robinson, Illinois, a small town roughly at the boundary between central and southern Illinois. When he was six years old, his father James, a golf pro, was killed in a freak bicycle accident. His mother Tracie, once an athlete who would run upwards of 10 miles a day, had been largely housebound since her husband's death, victimized by an old horseback injury and subsequent disc surgery that left her with crippling pain.
When he was in second grade, the young Leonard gained a surrogate family. Brian Siler, an insurance agent in Robinson who had a son of the same age, was aware of Leonard's family situation, and eventually became a father figure. Leonard regularly attended the Silers' church and went on family vacations. According to ESPN.com writer Dana O'Neil,
"Looking to shoehorn the relationship into a convenient box, outsiders have called this Meyers' version of The Blind Side, but the comparison is inaccurate. The book and subsequent movie tell the story of Michael Oher, a boy who was homeless and didn't have much of a family life. Meyers Leonard has a family. It has not abandoned him. On the contrary, Tracie loves her son, loves him so much that she was willing to accept help."
Leonard entered high school as a guard, but was converted to center after a six-inch (15 cm) growth spurt between his freshman and sophomore years. O'Neil called him "something of a basketball anomaly", adding that Leonard "gained all that height without losing his coordination or his fast-twitch muscles."
In high school, Leonard was named a member of the 2010 Illinois All-American Team as selected by the Associated Press, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, News-Gazette, and the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association. Leonard led Robinson High School to the IHSA class 2A state championship before choosing to play collegiate basketball at the University of Illinois.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Robinson, IL||Robinson High School||7 ft 0 in (2.13 m)||240 lb (110 kg)||Jul 29, 2008|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 95|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 6 (C) Rivals: 6 (C) ESPN: 4 (C)|
As a sophomore at the University of Illinois, Leonard averaged 13.6 points and 8.2 rebounds per game. Leonard was named Big 10 Co-Player of the Week on December 5, 2011 after averaging 16.5 points and 6.0 rebounds per game in two Illinois victories. Leonard was also named Big 10 Player of the Week on December 26, 2011 after averaging 16.5 points and 14.5 rebounds per game in two games. Following the season, Leonard was named Honorable Mention All Big-10.
Portland Trail Blazers
On October 31, 2012, Leonard made his NBA debut, logging 23 minutes and scoring four points. He made his first career start on November 21, 2012 against the Phoenix Suns, where he finished with 12 points and 5 rebounds.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Powers, Scott (April 13, 2012). "Meyers Leonard to enter NBA draft". ESPN.com. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Leonard goes 11th in NBA draft
- Meyers Leonard NBA & ABA Stats
- O'Neil, Dana (January 25, 2012). "Meyers Leonard shoulders plenty". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- Helfgot, Mike (March 14, 2010). "Class 2A championship: Derek Hannahs cashes in on overtime opportunities to lead Robinson to victory". ChicagoTribune.com. Retrieved March 14, 2010.
- "Meyers Leonard Profile". FightingIllini.com. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- "Illinois, Indiana and Michigan State Claim Weekly Accolades". BigTen.org. December 5, 2011. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- "Leonard Named Big Ten Player of the Week Again". FightingIllini.com. December 26, 2011. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- "2011–12 All-Big Ten Men’s Basketball Team". cstv.com. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- Damian Lillard, Meyers Leonard sign Trail Blazers rookie contracts
- Blazers Officially Announce Signings Of Damian Lillard & Meyers Leonard
- Lakers fall to Trail Blazers as Steve Nash exits with injury
- Marcin Gortat scores 22 as Suns blow out Blazers
- Marine surprises brother after not seeing him for 2 years