Miami Sunset Senior High School
|Miami Sunset Senior High School|
|Motto||You can't hide that Knight pride!|
|Principal||Dr. Lucia Cox|
|Location||Miami, Florida, USA|
|District||Miami-Dade County Public Schools District 10|
|Colors||Black, Silver, and Gold|
|Mascot||Krypto the Knight|
|Average class size||18.6|
Miami Sunset Senior High School is a secondary school of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools System located at 13125 SW 72nd Street in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida, USA. Its principal is Lucia Cox.
Sunset opened its doors in 1979 with the first graduating class in 1980. Beginning in the late 1980s, Sunset became one of many overcrowded schools in the county, due to the population explosion in the metropolitan area. This forced the school district to build two other schools: G. Holmes Braddock High School and Felix Varela High School.
Miami Sunset Sr. High also serves the Kendall area as a hurricane evacuation shelter. Despite this, the school sustained damage during Hurricane Andrew's 1992 assault on the area. As a result of Hurricane Andrew, the start of the 1992-93 school year was delayed by two weeks, and the last of the shelter's inhabitants were relocated approximately one month later.
Schools in Florida receive a grade based on the school's overall FCAT performance, the percentage of eligible students who took the test, and whether or not students made progress in reading and math. In the 2008–2009 school year, Sunset received a grade of B.
Grade over the years
- 2003–2004: C
- 2004–2005: -
- 2005–2006: -
- 2006–2007: D
- 2007–2008: C
- 2008–2009: B
- 2009–2010: B
- 2010-2011: A
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
Sunset competes in 16 sports at the varsity and junior varsity level. The school has won FHSAA championships in volleyball, tennis, soccer, and bowling. Among the school's rivals are Felix Varela High School, G. Holmes Braddock High School,
- Men's: 2004 (6A), 2005 (6A), 1989 (4A)
- Woman's: 1980 (4A), 1985 (4A), 1987 (4A), 1988 (4A), 1993 (5A), 1995 (6A)
- Torrance Marshall (Former Green Bay Packers linebacker, currently playing for the Tampa Bay Storm in the Arena Football League)
- Fuad Reveiz, Class of 1981 (Placekicker in the National Football League for the Miami Dolphins, San Diego Chargers, and Minnesota Vikings; played collegiately at the University of Tennessee)
- Alan Veingrad (Former Offensive Lineman for the Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys, played on the Cowboys' 1992 NFL Championship team; played collegiately at Texas A&M University-Commerce)
- Luis Alberto Perea (Peruvian Primera División player for Universidad San Martín)
- David R. Thomas (NCAA Collegiate Athlete & Record Holder, Lenoir-Rhyne College 95–99, British Tigers FC 2001–Current)
Arts and Entertainment
- Rob Morrow (Actor. Currently starring in Numb3rs. Also starred in Northern Exposure)
- Kimberly Peirce (Film director)
- "Miami Sunset Senior High School Test Scores". GreatSchools. 2008. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Miami Sunset Senior High School Profile". Public School Review. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "FHSAA boy's soccer titles". FHSAA. 2008. Retrieved November 12, 2008.
- "FHSAA boy's tennis titles". FHSAA. 2008. Retrieved November 12, 2008.
- "FHSAA girl's tennis titles". FHSAA. 2008. Retrieved November 12, 2008.
- "FHSAA girl's volleyball titles". FHSAA. 2008. Retrieved November 12, 2008.