Miao Rebellion (1854–73)
|Miao Rebellion 1854–1873|
|Casualties and losses|
The Miao Rebellion of 1854–1873 was an uprising of ethnic Miao in Guizhou province during the reign of the Qing dynasty. The uprising was preceded by Miao rebellions in 1735–1736 and 1795–1806, and was one of many ethnic uprisings sweeping China in the 19th century. The rebellion spanned the Xianfeng and Tongzhi periods of the Qing dynasty, and was eventually suppressed with military force. Estimates place the number of casualties as high as 4.9 million out of a total population of 7 millions, though these figures are likely overstated.
The rebellion stemmed from a variety of grievances, including long-standing ethnic tensions with Han Chinese, poor administration, grinding poverty and growing competition for arable land. The eruption of the Taiping Rebellion led the Qing government to increase taxation, and to simultaneously withdraw troops from the already restive region, thus allowing a rebellion to unfold.
The term "Miao" does not mean only the antecedents of today's Miao national minority; it is much more general term, which had been used by the Chinese to describe various aboriginal, mountain tribes of Guizhou and other southwestern provinces of China, which shared some cultural traits. They consisted of 40–60% population of the province.
- Miao Rebellion (1795–1806)
- Miao Rebellion (1735–36)
- Miao Rebellions (Ming Dynasty)
- Dungan revolt (1895–1896)
- Dungan revolt (1862–1877)
- Nian rebellion
- Red Turban Rebellion (1854–1856)
- Small Knife Society
- Robert D. Jenks (1994). Insurgency and Social Disorder in Guizhou: The "Miao" Rebellion, 1854-1873. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press. p. 25. ISBN 0-8248-1589-0.
- Norma Diamond (1995). "Defining the Miao: Ming, Qing, and Contemporary Views". In Stevan Harrell. Cultural Encounters on China's Ethnic Frontiers. Seattle: University of Washington Press. ISBN 0-295-97528-8.
- Elleman, Bruce A. (2001). "The Miao Revolt (1795–1806)". Modern Chinese Warfare, 1795-1989. London: Routledge. pp. 7–8. ISBN 978-0-415-21474-2.