Micah M. White
|Micah M. White|
|Alma mater||Swarthmore College and European Graduate School|
|Occupation||Founder, Boutique Activist Consultancy|
|Known for||initiating Occupy Wall Street protests, popularizing the term "clicktivism,"|
Micah M. White is a former editor at Adbusters magazine. He is credited with being the co-creator, and the only American creator, of the original idea for the Occupy Wall Street protests. He lives in Nehalem, Oregon and he is the founder of Boutique Activist Consultancy.
White "was born to a Caucasian mother and an African-American father". In middle school, he reportedly refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. He attended Grand Blanc Community High School in Grand Blanc, Michigan. There he started a controversial student atheists club. As part of his experience he published an Op-Ed piece “Atheists Under Siege” in the July 21, 1999 issue of the New York Times. He was also interviewed on Politically Incorrect and received the 1999 Ruth Jokinen Memorial Student Activist Award from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. He earned a B.A. at Swarthmore and a Ph.D. at the European Graduate School.
In December 2011, the San Francisco Chronicle called Micah White one of the "most fascinating people in the Bay Area 2011"
White is in favor of a transaction tax on international financial speculation, the reinstatement of the Glass–Steagall Act and revocation of corporate personhood. He is against advertisement and consumerism. He is known for popularizing the term "clicktivism", which denotes a form of internet-based activism which includes signing online petitions that he argues is damaging to the possibility of political change.
- White, Micah (2013-06-24). "Letter to the People: The Principles of Our War". Occupy Wall Street. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Andrew Fleming, “Adbusters sparks Wall Street protest”, Vancouver Courier, September 27, 2011. Consulted on November 14, 2011.
- Schwartz, Mattathias (2011-11-28). "Pre-Occupied. The origins and future of Occupy Wall Street.". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- Micah White Biography on personal web site
- Boutique Activist Consultancy description on organization web site
- 1999 Recipient--Ruth Jokinen Memorial Student Activist Award acceptance speech by Micah White, Atheist Under Siege Starts Atheist Club, Freethought Today, November 6, 1999
- "Most fascinating people in the Bay Area 2011". SF Gate: San Francisco Chronicle. December 12, 2011. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Sira Lazar, “Occupy Wall Street: Interview With Micah White From Adbusters”, Huffington Post, October 7, 2011.
- Micah White's Thought Bubble, junkthought.org. Consulted on November 13, 2011.
- Micah White, Clicktivism is ruining leftist activism, The Guardian, 12 August 2010. Consulted on November 13, 2011. For instance: "In promoting the illusion that surfing the web can change the world, clicktivism is to activism as McDonalds is to a slow-cooked meal."