Allied Media Conference 2012 Opening Ceremony
|Training||University of California San Diego|
Artwork and Performances
Cárdenas has presented her work around the world, including keynote performances at the 2013 Dark Side of the Digital Conference and 2012 Allied Media Conference, performances at the 2012 Zero1 Biennial in San Jose, and the Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics 7th Encuentro in Bogotá, Colombia and collective exhibitions at the 2010 California Biennial, and the 2009 Mérida Biennial. In 2008, Cardenas performed Becoming Dragon, a 365 hour mixed reality performance in Second Life. Recent projects include Local Autonomy Networks  and virus.circus, a collaboration with Elle Mehrmand. She has also curated exhibits in Los Angeles, New York and Tijuana, Mexico., 
As a member of the Electronic Disturbance Theater/b.a.n.g. lab, she helped design the Transborder Immigrant Tool, a GPS device designed to guide immigrants illegally crossing the US-Mexico border and to help them find water stations during their journey. Cardenas argued that the aim of this project was "about giving water to somebody who's dying in the desert of dehydration," but which critics claimed was an irresponsible use of government funds, and a tool that would also help facilitate other illegal activity, like smuggling, as well. Ultimately, all investigations of the project were dropped without finding any misuse of funds or illegal activity on the part of the artists.
In 2013, Cárdenas' poetry and a statement on poetics was published in the anthology Troubling the Line: Trans and Genderqueer Poetry and Poetics ISBN 978-1937658106 by Nightboat Books. The editors describe the book as the first anthology of transgender and genderqueer poetry.
In 2012, Cárdenas' co-authored book The Transreal: Political Aesthetics of Crossing Realities ISBN 0-9839152-4-5 was published by Atropos Press. The book discusses art, games and activism that use multiple realities, including augmented reality, mixed reality and alternate reality approaches.
Cárdenas has published several works related to the theoretical issues raised in her performances including "Becoming Dragon, A Transversal Technology Study" in the book Code Drift from CTheory press, and "I Am Transreal" in the book Gender Outlaws the Next Generation, edited by Kate Bornstein and S. Bear Bergman. Additional published works include "Technesexual Interface: Erotic Mixed Reality Performance", in Digimag.it co-authored with Elle Mehrmand.
Teaching and Research
Cárdenas was a Lecturer in the Visual Arts Department and Critical Gender Studies Program at UCSD in 2009 and 2010. She was previously the Interim Associate Director of Art and Technology for the Culture, Art and Technology program at UCSD and a researcher at the Center for Research in Computing and the Arts, CalIT2 and the UCSD School of Medicine. Cárdenas also worked in the Experimental Game Lab at the Center for Research in Computing and the Arts on the Scalable City project.
Cárdenas is currently a PhD Student and Provost Fellow at the University of Southern California in the Interdivisional Media Arts and Practice (iMAP) program. She received her MFA at the University of California San Diego in the summer of 2009, and holds a Master's degree in Media and Communications with distinction from the European Graduate School and a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science from Florida International University.
- "Dark Side of the Digital, University of Michigan, Milwaukee".
- "AMC2012 Opening Ceremony: Experiments in the Species Self".
- Sarah Beth (July 17, 2012). ["http://www.zero1.org/blog/emerge-zero1-street-festival" "eMERGE, The ZERO1 Street Festival"].
- "Micha Cárdenas and Elle Mehrmand". Hemi.nyu.edu. August 22, 2009. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- Name (required) (February 15, 2011). "Another Righteous Transfer, Not the Same Old Song and Dance: Recent Encounters with Karen Adelman and Flora Wiegmann". Anotherrighteoustransfer.wordpress.com. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- Hart, Hugh (November 15, 2010). "Screw-Embedded Football ‘Breathes’ on Respirator". Wired. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Biennale: Arte Nuevo Interactiva '09". Yucatantoday.com. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- Hello, Guest (December 21, 2008). "Online-world immersion probes possibilities of transformation, San Diego Union Tribune, by Scott LaFee". .signonsandiego.com. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Feature Interview: Micha Cardenas".
- "MCA Presents Here Not There, Will Bowen, sdnews.com". Sandiegonewsroom.com. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- HOUSE OF ART: Lui Velazquez, Derrik Chinn, SignOnSanDiego.com, San Diego Union Tribune[dead link]
- http://eventot.com/mix-nyc-the-coming-disturbance-we-re-coming-you-should-come-too/1033683. Missing or empty
- http://map.usc.edu/collective-alchemy-performance-night-at-usc/. Missing or empty
- Rhett, Joshua (April 7, 2010). "Critics Blast Transborder Immigrant Tool As 'Irresponsible' Use Of Technology". Fox News. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "AJE". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- Spagat, Elliot (December 30, 2009). "Activists want to give GPS to immigrants | Wichita Eagle". Kansas.com. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- Name *. "Interview with Ricardo Dominguez, Zach Blas, Reclamations Journal". Reclamationsjournal.org. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "e-misferica, Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics, NYU". Hemi.nyu.edu. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Becoming Dragon, A Transversal Technology Study". Ctheory.net. November 4, 2009. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- J. Rudy Flesher (February 1, 2011). "Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation – Book Review Part 2". Thenewcivilrightsmovement.com. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Technesexual Interface: Erotic Mixed Reality Performance". Digicult.it. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- Visiting Faculty, UCSD Visual Arts Department[dead link]
- "critical gender studies fall courses, UCSD Critical Gender Studies Program" (PDF). Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- Micha Cardenas, Culture, Art and Technology Program Website[dead link]
- "Productive confusions: learning from simulations of pandemic virus outbreaks in Second Life (Proceedings Paper)". Spie.org. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Scalable City by Sheldon Brown and the Experimental Game Lab". Scalablecity.net. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "USC Provost Fellows".