Michael "Atters" Attree
|Michael "Atters" Attree|
22 April 1965 |
Colchester Military Hospital
|Occupation||Satirist, comedy writer, performer, comedian|
Attree writes as the editor at large for the satirical magazine The Chap. His feature interviews have included Leslie Phillips, Sir Patrick Moore, Brian Blessed, Alan Moore and Jilly Cooper, while his ongoing column "The Pentagram of Atters" highlights the supernatural. Attree is prominent campaigner and activist within the 'Chap movement'. In his book London Calling: A Countercultural History of London since 1945, Barry Miles highlighted how Attree (along with two colleagues) climbed to the top of a Rachel Whiteread art installation as part of a "Tate Modern Protest".
Attree has contributed to publications such as Time Outand The Guardian and erotic comedy for magazines such as Penthouse Forum, Erotic Knave (as "The Knave") and Erotic Review. He was also Flux magazines Paranormal Investigations Editor and contributes to magazines specific to the subject of the paranormal.
In the late 80s, Janet Street-Porter (then head of BBC Youth and Entertainment Features) commissioned Attree to work as a producer/director for BBC TV.He later worked as a documentaries producer for Channel Four.
His theatre show Atters Attree’s Chap-orgasmic Terrors is a sci-fi/horror/conspiracy theory comedy spin off of his former Flux magazine seriesand has been performed regularly as part of the Brighton Festival Fringe.Le Figaro magazine states: "Anarcho-dandy, Michael Attree is a revolutionary cell in three-piece suit who cherishes the dream of overthrowing the Western consumer society."
Attree was chairman and host compère of the World Beard and Moustache Championships 2007, held at the Brighton Centre and hosted the British Beard & Moustache Championships 2012 held at the Brighton Dome. He is a committee member of London's Handlebar Club and was the editor of the club's journal for a number of years.He is also a Master of Ceremonies performer within the fields of Neo-burlesque.
- The Argus Weekend (cover feature): A Bounder and a Cad. 25–26 August 2007.
- Adams, Nathaniel & Callahan, Rose (2013). I am Dandy: The return of the Elegant gentleman. Gestalten (Berlin). ISBN 978-3-89955-484-7.
- Le Figaro magazine: Les Extravagants-Michael "Atters" Attree. 8 August 2009
- The Chap magazine, 2007. Iss. 35.
- The Chap magazine, Feature Interview: Dec/Jan 2013. Issue 66.
- The Chap magazine, Feature Interview: Apr/may 2012. Issue 68.
- The Chap magazine, Feature Interview: Aug/Sep 2013. Issue 70.
- The Chap magazine, Feature Interview: Oct/Nov 2013. Issue 71.
- The Chap magazine,(P.70): Apr/May 2012. Issue 66 (onward).
- The Times: I say Chaps, should Abercrombie’s really be allowed into Savile Row? April 24, 2012 (Valentine Low)
- Miles, Barry (2010). London Calling: A Countercultural History of London Since 1945. Atlantic Books. ISBN 978-1-84354-613-9.
- Timeout magazine: http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/how-to-smoke-alfresco
- The Guardian: Travel (weekend supplement), 31 March 2007
- Penthouse Forum magazine, Volume 40: Number 12.
- Erotic Knave magazine: Vol 41. Issue 3 (onwards)
- Erotic Review magazine, "Atters". Issue NO 76+.
- Flux magazine. Issues 52–61.
- Fortean Times magazine, "The Occult Moustache" (feature). FT269 December 2010
- Foreplay magazine: Ghost Sex Issue (No5). Sex on the Astral Plane (feature) by Michael "Atters" Attree p.96-101
- Penthouse Forum magazine, Volume 43: NO.10
- The Guardian Cathy Troupp: Strangers on a whilder shore. 20 November 1990
- Fortean Times magazine: FT269 December 2010
- The Independent: Brighton Festival Fringe supplement, 2 May 2009
- The Guardian The Guide Saturday 1 September – Friday 7 September 2007
- The Argus: Cult comedian Atters comes to the Festival Fringe. 15 April 2009
- Temple, Gustav (2011). Am I a Chap? Beautiful Books Limited (London). ISBN 9781905636815.
- Huffington Post 17th Sept, 2012. BBMC
- The Telegraph: Contest is razor sharp at first British Beard and Moustache Championships (Adam Lusher) 16th Sept, 2012
- Source: Feature Interview (November 2009)
- The Handlebar Club
- Fortean Times magazine: Feature by Atters
- BBC TV The Bounder's Guide to Controlling Your Moustache
- Le Figaro magazine: Atters Feature
- The Handlebar Club: Archive
- BBC TV feature (via Vimeo)