Michael Albert speaking at New York's annual Left Forum, 2007.
|Born||April 8, 1947|
|Notable work(s)||Moving Forward: Program for a Participatory Economy|
|Part of a series on|
Michael Albert (born April 8, 1947) is an American activist, economist, speaker, and writer.
During the 1960s, he was a member of Students for a Democratic Society, and was active in the anti-Vietnam War movement. He is co-editor of ZNet, and co-editor and co-founder of Z Magazine. He also co-founded South End Press and has written numerous books and articles.
Albert identifies himself as a market abolitionist and favors participatory planning as an alternative. He developed, with Robin Hahnel, the economic vision called participatory economics. Albert has also been a moving force in the creation of the International Organization for a Participatory Society founded in 2012. He has a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Massachusetts and an undergraduate degree in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Parecomic: the story of Michael Albert and Participatory Economics (2013) Seven Stories Press is a graphic novel account of Albert's life and the Parecon ideas, by Sean Michael Wilson and Carl Thompson,with an introduction by Noam Chomsky. In the afterword, before describing Parecon, Albert writes of present-day capitalism: "At this point of the twenty-first century, only a relatively few people...fail to see that capitalism is now a gigantic holocaust of injustice."
- What Is To Be Undone? (1974)
- Unorthodox Marxism with R. Hahnel (1978)
- Socialism Today and Tomorrow with R. Hahnel (1981)
- Marxism and Socialist Theory with R. Hahnel (1981)
- Liberating Theory with Holly Sklar, Lydia Sargent, Mel King, Robin Hahnel, Noam Chomsky and Leslie Cagan (1986)
- Quiet Revolution in Welfare Economics with R. Hahnel (1990)
- Looking Forward with R. Hahnel (1990)
- The Political Economy of Participatory Economics with R. Hahnel (1991)
- Stop the Killing Train: Radical Visions for Radical Change (1994)
- Thinking Forward: Learning To Conceptualize Economic Vision (1997)
- Moving Forward: Program for a Participatory Economy (2001)
- Parecon: Life After Capitalism (2002)
- The Trajectory of Change: Activist Strategies for Social Transformation (2002)
- Thought Dreams: Radical Theory for the 21st Century (2004)
- Realizing Hope: Life beyond Capitalism (2006)
- Remembering Tomorrow: From SDS to Life After Capitalism, A Memoir (2007)
- Occupy Theory (2013)
- Occupy Vision (2013)
- Occupy Strategy (2013)
- Parecomic (2013)
- Participatory politics
- Participatory economics
- Market abolitionism
- Z Communications
- Complementary holism
- Left-wing politics
- Market Madness. Z-Mag, 13 July 2004.
- Albert, Michael There Is An Alternative. ZNet, July 27, 2005.
- Parecomic, pp 228-9
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Albert.|
- Michael Albert discusses memoir with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now!, April 17, 2007 (video, audio, and print transcript)
- Parecon (Participatory Economics)
- Interview with Michael Albert in Imagineer magazine about the American economy and his proposal for a more effective economic alternative.
- Text of a speech delivered to a CNT Sponsored gathering in Barcelona, Spain (on parecon)