Michael Albert speaking at New York's annual Left Forum, 2007.
|Born||April 8, 1947|
|Notable work(s)||Moving Forward: Program for a Participatory Economy|
|Part of a series on|
Michael Albert (born April 8, 1947) is an American activist, economist, speaker, and writer.
During the 1960s, he was a member of Students for a Democratic Society, and was active in the anti-Vietnam War movement. He is co-editor of ZNet, and co-editor and co-founder of Z Magazine. He also co-founded South End Press and has written numerous books and articles.
Albert identifies himself as a market abolitionist and favors participatory planning as an alternative. He developed, with Robin Hahnel, the economic vision called participatory economics. Albert has also been a moving force in the creation of the International Organization for a Participatory Society founded in 2012. He has a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Massachusetts and an undergraduate degree in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- What Is To Be Undone? (1974)
- Unorthodox Marxism with R. Hahnel (1978)
- Socialism Today and Tomorrow with R. Hahnel (1981)
- Marxism and Socialist Theory with R. Hahnel (1981)
- Liberating Theory with Holly Sklar, Lydia Sargent, Mel King, Robin Hahnel, Noam Chomsky and Leslie Cagan (1986)
- Quiet Revolution in Welfare Economics with R. Hahnel (1990)
- Looking Forward with R. Hahnel (1990)
- The Political Economy of Participatory Economics with R. Hahnel (1991)
- Stop the Killing Train: Radical Visions for Radical Change (1994)
- Thinking Forward: Learning To Conceptualize Economic Vision (1997)
- Moving Forward: Program for a Participatory Economy (2001)
- Parecon: Life After Capitalism (2002)
- The Trajectory of Change: Activist Strategies for Social Transformation (2002)
- Thought Dreams: Radical Theory for the 21st Century (2004)
- Realizing Hope: Life beyond Capitalism (2006)
- Remembering Tomorrow: From SDS to Life After Capitalism, A Memoir (2007)
See also 
- Participatory politics
- Participatory economics
- Market abolitionism
- Z Communications
- Complementary holism
- Left-wing politics
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Michael Albert|
- Michael Albert discusses memoir with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now!, April 17, 2007 (video, audio, and print transcript)
- Parecon (Participatory Economics)
- Interview with Michael Albert in Imagineer magazine about the American economy and his proposal for a more effective economic alternative.
- Text of a speech delivered to a CNT Sponsored gathering in Barcelona, Spain (on parecon)