May 3, 1937 |
|Institutions||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Notable awards||Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award
Donald P. Eckman Award
Michael Athans (born Michael Athanassiades , May 3, 1937) is a Greek-American control theorist and a Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is a Fellow of the IEEE (1973) and a Fellow of the AAAS (1977). He is the recipient of numerous awards for his contributions in the field of control theory.
- American Automatic Control Council Donald P. Eckman Award "for outstanding contributions to the field of automatic control" in 1964.
- American Society for Engineering Education Frederick Emmons Terman Award as "the outstanding young electrical engineering educator" in 1969.
- American Control Council's Education Award for "outstanding contributions and distinguished leadership in automatic control education" in 1980.
- IEEE Control Systems Society's 1993 H.W. Bode Prize.
- American Automatic Control Council's Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award in 1995.
- Honoris causa doctorate from Universidade Técnica de Lisboa in 2011.
- "Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award". American Automatic Control Council. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "Cerimónia de Atribuição do Grau de Doutor Honoris Causa". IST. 2011-05-27. Retrieved 2011-05-30.