July 27, 1934 |
New York, New York, USA
|Education||New York University (B.S, M.D)|
|Known for||Testimony at the O. J. Simpson trial · Investigations of the John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King assassinations|
|Institutions||Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
New York University
New York Law School
Michael M. Baden (born July 27, 1934) is a physician and board-certified forensic pathologist known for his work investigating high-profile deaths and as a host of HBO's Autopsy. He is also the forensic science contributor for Fox News Channel. He has been the author or co-author of more than 80 articles and books on aspects of forensic medicine and also of two popular nonfiction books, Unnatural Death: Confessions of a Medical Examiner and Dead Reckoning: the New Science of Catching Killers. He and his wife have written the thriller Remains Silent.
Education and personal life
He is married to Linda Kenney-Baden, who served as one of Phil Spector's main attorneys during his capital murder trial and replaced Bruce Cutler after his withdrawal from the proceedings. They have four children.
Baden was the Chief Medical Examiner of the City of New York from 1978 to 1979.
- Chairman of the forensic pathology panel of the House Select Committee on Assassinations that reinvestigated the John F. Kennedy assassination.
- Giving testimony at the trial of O.J. Simpson.
- Investigating the remains of Czar Nicholas II and family members.
- Sid Vicious's death.
- Claus von Bülow'criminal trial.
- John Belushi's death.
- Lisa McPherson's death.
- As a defense witness in Phil Spector's murder trial. He was reportedly paid $250,000. Baden's wife was legal co-counsel for Spector at the time.
- Richard Kuklinski's death.
- Kathleen Savio's death.
- Sergeant Evan Vela's court martial.
- Gathering evidence against Byron De La Beckwith, who was facing his third trial for murder in the death of Medgar Evers. De La Beckwith was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment.
Baden maintains a private forensic pathology consulting practice and is co-director of the New York State Police Medicolegal Investigation Unit.
On June 11, 2009, it was reported that Baden was hired by the family of the late actor David Carradine to investigate the cause of Carradine's death in a Bangkok hotel room. According to press reports, Baden's initial conclusion is that Carradine's death was not the result of suicide. He is also a frequent guest on Fox News's late-night satire program Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld where he is known as the Death Correspondent.
- "Bio - Baden, Michael M. - 1934".
- Ask Dr. Baden. HBO. URL: http://www.hbo.com/autopsy/baden/bio.html. Accessed on April 8, 2008.
- Baden Michael M. New York State Education Department (Office of the Professions). URL: http://www.nysed.gov/coms/op001/opscr2?profcd=60&plicno=085329. Accessed on: April 9, 2008.
- The Phil Spector Trial: We Watch Court TV So You Don't Have To. rollingstone.com. http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/08/15/the-phil-spector-trial-we-watch-court-tv-so-you-dont-have-to-36/. Accessed on April 8, 2008.
- Biography: Dr. Michael M. Baden. practicalhomicide.com. URL: http://www.practicalhomicide.com/bio/bioBADEN.htm. Accessed on April 8, 2008.
- Lisa Mcpherson Estate's Reply To Defendants' Frye Challenge To Cockroach Evidence. whyaretheydead.net. URL: http://whyaretheydead.net/lisa_mcpherson/legal/bugs/index.html. Accessed on: April 8, 2008.
- Outrageous. truthinjusticefiles.blogspot.com. March 1, 2008. URL: http://truthinjusticefiles.blogspot.com/2008/03/outrageous.html. Accessed on: April 10, 2008.
- Moore S. G.I. Tells of Ordering Unarmed Iraqi's Death. New York Times. February 9, 2008. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/world/middleeast/09iraq.html. Accessed on: April 18, 2008.
|New York City Chief Medical Examiner
Elliot M. Gross