Berryman on November 18, 2007
|Born||Michael John Berryman
September 4, 1948
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Berryman has a distinctive physical appearance as a result of hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia, a rare genetic condition which prevents him from developing hair, sweat glands or fingernails. According to his own statements in an interview for the DVD release of The Hills Have Eyes, he was born with "twenty-six birth defects".
Berryman was born in Los Angeles, California, the son of Barbara and Sloan Berryman, who was a neurosurgeon. Prior to acting, he worked in a flower shop. Berryman is married and lives in Clearlake, California.
Berryman played Pluto in Wes Craven's 1977 horror film The Hills Have Eyes and the 1985 sequel The Hills Have Eyes Part II. He has also made appearances in the science fiction and fantasy movies My Science Project (1985), Weird Science (1985), Armed Response (1986), Evil Spirits (1990) , The Guyver (1991) and "Brutal" (2007). He appeared in the Academy Award-winning drama One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975).
Berryman has made a career out of portraying mutant bikers, evil undertakers, monsters and other frightening characters. He had a role in The Crow (1994) as "The Skull Cowboy", Eric Draven's guide to the land of the living. Berryman's scenes were cut from the original theatrical release, but can be found on some DVD releases under "Deleted Scenes".
He has appeared in episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation and The X-Files. He appeared in the 1985 Mötley Crüe video for "Smokin' In the Boys Room", as well as the introduction to the band's song "Home Sweet Home". He also portrayed the devil in two episodes of "Highway To Heaven": "The Devil and Jonathan Smith" (1985) and "I Was a Middle-Aged Werewolf" (1987).
Berryman is a popular draw at genre conventions, such as the 2002 Horrorfind convention in Baltimore, Maryland, and the 2007 Eerie Horror Film Festival in Erie, Pennsylvania. He also appeared in 2001 and 2002 at the Horrorfind convention in Baltimore, Maryland and in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on June 7 and 8 attending as a guest of "The Milwaukee County Massacre", a horror film convention and music festival. Berryman appeared at the "Scarefest" convention in Lexington, Kentucky, and at the "Spooky Empire" convention in Orlando, Florida on October 17–19, 2008. He appeared in Roseville, Minnesota at Crypticon 2008 for "A November to Dismember" on November 14–16, 2008 for the show's third year.
Berryman stars currently in the British-Canadian horror film Below Zero, which is directed by Justin Thomas Orstensen. He was a special guest at the third annual San Antonio Horrific Film Fest on 25 August 2010. He was a guest at the Cinema Wasteland convention from April 1–3, 2011. He also appeared at the Contamination 2012 Convention, held at the Renaissance Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri on June 15–17, 2012.
Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films
|1978||Nominated||Saturn Award||Best Actor – Horror for The Hills Have Eyes|
|2007||Won||EyeGore Award||Career Contribution in Horror Genre|
- Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975) – Coroner
- One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) – Ellis
- The Hills Have Eyes (1977) – Pluto
- Un autre homme, une autre chance (1977) – First Bandit
- Deadly Blessing (1981) – William Gluntz
- Invitation to Hell (1984) – Valet
- My Science Project (1985) – Mutant #1
- Weird Science (1985) – Mutant Biker
- Cut and Run (1985) – Quecho
- The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1985) – Pluto
- Voyage of the Rock Aliens (1985) – Chainsaw
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) – Starfleet display officer
- Kenny Rogers as The Gambler, Part III (1987) – Cpl. Catlett
- The Barbarians (1987) – Dirtmaster
- Saturday the 14th Strikes Back (1988) – The Mummy
- Far Out Man (1989) – Angry Biker
- Solar Crisis (1990) – Matthew
- Teenage Exorcist (1991) – Herman
- The Guyver (1991) – Lisker
- Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time (1991) – Pilgrim #1
- The Crow (1994) – The Skull Cowboy (Scenes Deleted)
- Double Dragon (1994) – Maniac Leader
- Mojave Moon (1996) – Angel
- Spy Hard (1996) – Bus Patron with Oxygen Mask
- The Independent (2000) – Himself
- Two Heads are Better than None (2000) – Chives
- The Devil's Rejects (2005) – Clevon
- Ed Gein: The Butcher of Plainfield (2007) – Jack
- Penny Dreadful (2006) – Gas Station Worker
- Brutal (2007) – Leroy Calhoun
- Necrosis (2009) – Seymour
- Brother's War (2009) – Col. Petrov
- Smash Cut (2009) – Philip Farmsworth, Jr.
- Scooby-Doo! Curse of the Lake Monster (2010) – Zombie Head
- Mask Maker (2010) – Fred
- Below Zero (2012) – Gunnar
- The Lords of Salem (2012) – Virgil Magnus
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Michael Berryman|
- Michael Berryman at Memory Alpha (a Star Trek wiki)
- Michael Berryman at the Internet Movie Database
- Michael Berryman at AllRovi
- Michael Berryman at http://www.smashcutmovie.com/bios.html