14 November 1935|
Sevenoaks, Kent, England
|Died||13 July 2006(aged 70)|
Michael Busselle (14 November 1935 – 13 July 2006) was an English photographer and writer whose photographs and writing were featured in more than 50 books. His first book, Master Photography, has sold over a million copies worldwide.
Born in Sevenoaks, Kent, Busselle showed an early aptitude for portrait photography. Although he initially worked with the Ministry of Defense, in 1957 he quit his post with the Ministry to dedicate himself to photography on a full-time basis. The first few years in his pursuit of a career in photography consisted mainly of assistant positions with various London photography studios, culminating in the opening of his own studio in Covent Garden in the early 1960s. Although successful with portrait and advertising assignments, by the 1980s he began to focus almost exclusively on travel and leisure topics. This focus resulted in several award nominated compilations including The Wine Lover's Guide to France, runner-up for Wine Magazine's Book of the Year award, Landscape in Spain, runner-up in the Spanish Ministry of Tourism sponsored Otiz Ochague photography competition, and French Vineyards, an André Simon Book of the Year nominee.
A fellow of the Royal Photographic Society, Busselle was a regular contributor to several magazines such as The Sunday Express, Connoisseur, and Atlantic Monthly and also lectured and ran photography workshops.
- Master Photography : Take and Make Perfect Pictures (1978) ISBN 0-528-81079-0
- Complete Guide to Photographing People (1983) ISBN 0-89586-292-1
- The Encyclopedia of Photography (1983) ISBN 0-7064-1741-0
- The Wine Lover's Guide to France (1986) ISBN 1-85145-005-X
- Landscape in Spain (1988) ISBN 1-85145-246-X
- The Complete 35mm Sourcebook (1992) ISBN 0-8174-3704-5
- Creative Digital Photography (2002) ISBN 0-8174-3730-4
- Photographing Landscapes and Gardens (2002) ISBN 2-88046-676-8
- "Michael Busselle obituary". London: The Daily Telegraph. 27 July 2006. Retrieved 15 December 2009.
- "Mike Busselle Biography". Creative Lens. Retrieved 15 December 2009.
- Sagar-Musgrave, Rupert (6 December 1997). "Europe: Spain: get the picture?". London: The Independent. Retrieved 15 December 2009.
- "Beautiful Britain Online – Mike Busselle". uklandscape.net. Retrieved 16 December 2009.