November 10, 1989 |
Grand Prairie, Texas
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 2, 2013 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||0|
Michael Blair Choice (born November 10, 1989) is an American professional baseball outfielder for the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball (MLB). Choice made his MLB debut with the Oakland Athletics on September 2, 2013.
Choice played college baseball at the University of Texas at Arlington before the Athletics made him their first round draft pick in 2010. He was traded from the Athletics to the Texas Rangers for Craig Gentry and Josh Lindblom on December 3, 2013.
Though universities in the Big 12 Conference scouted Choice, he received his only scholarship offer from the University of Texas at Arlington (UTA), where he played college baseball for the Texas–Arlington Mavericks baseball team of the Southland Conference. As a freshman in 2008, Choice led the team in with a .376 batting average, seven home runs, and 51 runs batted in (RBIs). That year, Choice was named Second Team College Freshman All-American Outfielder and Southland Conference Freshman of the Year. In 2009, he was named Southland Conference All-Star Outfielder. In the summer of 2009, he played for the United States national baseball team in the World Baseball Challenge.
As a junior in 2010, Choice hit .393 with 16 home runs, a .568 on-base percentage, and a .704 slugging percentage. He was named First Team College All-American Outfielder, Southland Conference All-Star Outfielder, and Southland Conference Player of the Year. He was also named a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award, which is given to the best amateur baseball player of the year. In his three years at UTA, Choice batted .392 and hit a school-record 34 home runs.
The Athletics selected Choice with their first round pick, tenth overall, in the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. Choice was the first UTA player to be drafted in the first round, and the highest selection in Southland Conference history, tying Ben Sheets of Louisiana-Monroe, who was selected tenth overall in 1999.
Choice signed with the Athletics on July 30 for a $2 million signing bonus. That season, he played for the Arizona League Athletics of the Rookie-level Arizona League and Vancouver Canadians of the Class-A Northwest League. In 2011, he played for the Stockton Ports of the Class-A Advanced California League, where he batted .283 with 30 home runs, along with 82 RBIs. Playing center field for the Midland RockHounds of the Class-AA Texas League, he batted .264 with six home runs and 43 RBIs in the first 69 games of the season, as he was named to appear in the 2012 All-Star Futures Game. His season ended prematurely due to a broken hand suffered when he was hit by a pitch in July.
Choice spent the 2013 season with the Sacramento River Cats of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, where he batted .302 with 14 home runs and 89 RBIs in 132 games. The Athletics selected his contract on September 1, 2013. He made his major league debut the following day.
Choice married his girlfriend, Jade, in October 2012. The couple have a son, born in 2011.
- Jennings, Randy (June 8, 2010). "Oakland makes UTA player its Choice". ESPN Dallas / Fort Worth (ESPN). Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- Davison, Drew (June 7, 201). "UTA's Michael Choice picked 10th by Oakland in MLB draft". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- Fitt, Aaron. "2010 College All-America First Team". BaseballAmerica.com. Baseball America. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- Lee, Jane (July 30, 2010). "A's announce agreement with Choice". Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- Lee, Jane (June 21, 2012). "A's sending two prospects to Futures Game". MLB.com. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Parker, John (July 24, 2012). "A's prospect Choice out for season: Fractured hand ends slugger's campaign on 16-game streak". MiLB.com News. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- Kirshman, Jeff (September 1, 2013). "Choice among A's callups as rosters expand". MLB.com. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Corkran, Steve (September 1, 2013). "Oakland A's add Jemile Weeks, Michael Choice to roster". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- Hickey, John (September 2, 2013). "Oakland A's prospect Michael Choice debuts against hometown team". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- "Texas Rangers trade Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom to Oakland Athletics for Chris Bostick, Michael Choice". Dallas Morning News. December 3, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Lee, Jane (February 25, 2013). "Former A's top pick Michael Choice settling in at camp". MLB.com. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- "Player Bio: Michael Choice". UT Arlington Official Athletic Site.