|Michael D. West, PhD
||Niles, Michigan, USA
||Baylor College of Medicine
||CEO of BioTime, Founder of Geron Corporation, former CEO of Advanced Cell Technology, research in gerontology, stem cell science, cellular aging, and telomeres
||James Thomson, Elizabeth Blackburn, Leonard Hayflick
Michael D. West, PhD, is a gerontologist, stem cell scientist, cellular aging and telomere researcher, previous CEO of Advanced Cell Technology, founder of Geron (NASDAQ: GERN) and CEO of BioTime, Inc.(NYSE MKT: BTX) of Alameda, California, a company engaged in stem cell research and development in the field of regenerative medicine. Prior to joining BioTime, he was Chairman of the Board, Chief Scientific Officer and CEO of Advanced Cell Technology, Inc.(OTCBB: ACTC), which also specializes in stem cell research. Prior that, he was founder, director, and Chief Scientific officer of Geron, for which he secured venture capital investment from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Venrock and Domain Associates. At Geron, West initiated and managed programs in telomere biology relating to aging and cancer, and human embryonic stem cell technology in collaboration with James Thomson of the University of Wisconsin at Madison. For the company's Scientific and Clinical Advisory Board, he recruited James Thomson, Leonard Hayflick, Carol Greider (winner of the 2009 Nobel Prize in Medicine), and others.
Dr. West is associated with 146 patents, in the United States, Australia, Japan and elsewhere.
West has authored and co-edited books on topics such as animal cloning, aging, gerontology, stem cells, stem cell biology, and regenerative medicine.
- Dr. West's webpage
- BioTime, Inc.
- Dr. West's Biography
- Video: Dr. West's video updates on BioTime's YouTube channel, September 8, 2013
- Video: Dr. West of BioTime interviewed on CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" December 8, 2009
- Audio: Dr. West interviewed on Bloomberg Radio's "The Hays Advantage" February 11, 2010
- Video: Dr. West interviewed as part of panel on "TSN: The Science Network," along with Stephanie Lederman of the American Federation for Aging Research and Mark Collins of the Glenn Foundation for Medical Research, June 15, 2011
- Video: Dr. West's presentation at 2009 Longevity Summit, from the Manhattan Beach Project
- Video: The Stem Cell Controversy January 18, 2006, Woodrow Wilson Center event featuring Robin Cook (novelist), William B. Hurlbut, and Michael D. West
- The Prospects of Human Life Extension recorded November 2004 at the Long Now Foundation
- Therapeutic Cloning Under Fire: An Interview with Michael D. West, PhD, cover story, Life Extension Magazine, March 2002
- Interview of Michael West on new breakthroughs in anti-aging cloning research, by Life Extension Magazine, March 18, 2000