Michael D. Quill, Sr.
|Michael D Quill Sr|
|55th Mayor of Auburn|
January 1, 2008
March 2, 1949 |
Auburn, New York
|Children||Michael D Quill Jr, Colleen Cross|
|Residence||Auburn, New York|
|Occupation||Retired Fire Chief, Politician|
Michael Dennis Quill, Sr. (born March 2, 1949) is a retired Fire Chief, Democratic politician, and current Mayor of Auburn, NY.
Quill was born in Auburn, New York to Ralph P Quill, a fireman and former Marine, and Anna Salata Quill. Quill attended West High School in Auburn NY. He joined the Marine Corps in 1968 and served in the Vietnam War. After his military service Quill returned to Auburn and became a Firefighter in 1973. He was promoted to Lieutenant in 1980, Captain in 1986, and Assistant Chief in 1994. Finally, in 1995, he became Chief of the Auburn Fire Department and led the 72-person team for 11years. After thirty-two years of service, Mike retired from the Auburn Fire Department.
Quill is regarded as an expert in Fire Sciences and has been called by Congressman Sherwood L. Boehlert to testify in front of the House Committee on Science in regards to H.R. 1118: Staffing For Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Act Of 2003. The SAFER Act enabled emergency departments in smaller cities nationwide to increase staffing as to be better prepared to deal with unforeseen emergencies. SAFER passed the Senate on May 22, 2003 and became law  The SAFER Act is currently administered by FEMA and the City of Auburn has been awarded over $180,000 in grants as a result of Quill's efforts.
In 2009 Quill helped to create a Founders Day Celebration in the City of Auburn. The Founders Day Celebration's aim was to promote the City's history and promote downtown business The first Founders Day was held on June 6, 2009 and featured guest speaker Sarah Palin. Palin helped celebrate Auburn's history especially that of William Seward (William H. Seward)). Seward, a past resident of Auburn, purchased Alaska in 1867.
- Auburn NY website. Mayor's Biography. http://ci.auburn.ny.us/Public_Documents/AuburnNY_Mayor/mayorbio.
- US House of Representatives website, "H.R. 1118: STAFFING FOR ADEQUATE FIRE AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE (SAFER) ACT OF 2003". http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/science/hsy87543.000/hsy87543_0.HTM
- "Fire Chief Magazine"Smaller SAFER Act passes Senate", June 1, 2003, accessed January 18, 2011
- Soule, Jessica ", The Citizen, January 02, 2008, accessed January 17, 2011.
- Cayuga County Board of Elections Website. "2007 General Election Auburn-Auburn Mayor".http://co.cayuga.ny.us/election/2007auburnmayor.htm/