Michael Deibert (born Lancaster, Pennsylvania, 1973) is an American journalist and author.
Deibert’s first book, Notes from the Last Testament: The Struggle for Haiti, with an introduction by the Haitian filmmaker Raoul Peck, was published by Seven Stories Press in November 2005. Deibert's second book, The Democratic Republic of Congo: Between Hope and Despair, was published as part of the Zed Books African Arguments series in cooperation with the Royal African Society, the International African Institute and the World Peace Foundation in 2013. A third book, In the Shadow of Saint Death: The Gulf Cartel and the Price of America's Drug War in Mexico, will be published by Lyons Press in 2014.
Deibert’s writing has appeared in the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, the Miami Herald, the Guardian, Folha de Sao Paulo, Le Monde diplomatique and the World Policy Journal, among other publications. From 2001 until 2003, he served as the Reuters correspondent in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. He has been featured as a commentator on international affairs on the BBC, Al Jazeera, Channel 4, National Public Radio, WNYC New York Public Radio and KPFK Pacifica Radio.
While Deibert's work on Haiti has been praised by Haitian scholars  and others, it has also been criticized by partisans of former Haitian president Jean-Bertrand Aristide. Deibert's book on the Democratic Republic of Congo was called "mandatory reading for anyone interested in building lasting peace in the heart of Africa" by the Institute of Development Studies, "a comprehensive first-rate account of the tragedy of Congo...Riveting and brutally honest" by the Free Africa Foundation and "a scrupulously researched reminder of how this corner of the world became so wretched, and of the multiple actors responsible" by the Guardian.
Books by Michael Deibert
- Deibert, Michael (2005). Notes from the Last Testament: The Struggle for Haiti. New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 978-1-58322-697-1.
- Deibert, Michael (2013). The Democratic Republic of Congo: Between Hope and Despair. London: Zed Books. ISBN 978-1780323459.
- "Notes from the Last Testament: The Struggle for Haiti". Seven Stories Press. accessed=July 27,.
- "The Democratic Republic of Congo: Between Hope and Despair". Zed Books. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Michael Deibert Bio, Wolf Literary". Wolf Literary. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "The Haiti I love is still there". Salon. Jan 23, 2010.
- Deibert, Michael (12 July 2010). "The international community's responsibility to Haiti". London: The Guardian.
- "Democratic Republic of Congo: Between Hope and Despair". World Policy Journal. Summer 2008.
- "A Glittering Demon: Mining, Poverty and Politics in the Democratic Republic of Congo". CorpWatch. June 26, 2008.
- "Two Years After Riots, Little Has Changed". Inter Press Service. Sep 24, 2007.
- "France's Troubled Suburbs Erupt Again". Inter Press Service. Nov 29, 2007.
- "Riots Rage in Paris Suburb After Police Collision, an interview with NPR's Robert Siegel". National Public Radio. November 27, 2007.
- "Drugs vs. Democracy in Guatemala". World Policy Journal. Winter 2008/09.
- Deibert, Michael (November 12, 2010). "Guatemala's lonely battle against corruption". London: The Guardian.
- "Why Arrest of Zetas Leader Does Not Mean End to Mexico's Drug War". The Huffington Post. July 16, 2013.
- "Indefensible: On Aristide, Violence, and Democracy By Alex Dupuy". small axe. November 2009. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- "L'aventure onusienne en Haiti By Jean-Claude Bajeux". AlterPresse. 2 April 2006. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- "Author gives insight into Haitian politics By Char Miller". San Antonio Express News. 19 February 2006. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- "The rise and fall of Haiti's 'savior' by Don Bohning". The Miami Herald. November 25, 2005. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- Podur, Justin."Kofi Annan's Haiti". New Left Review. January–February 2006. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- Taylor, Jeremy. Apocalypse Now By Jeremy Taylor. Caribbean Review of Books. Issue No. 8 - May 2006. Retrieved Jul 9, 2011.
- "Zed Books Page for The Democratic Republic of Congo: Between Hope and Despair". Zed Books. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "The Democratic Republic of Congo: Between Hope and Despair by Michael Deibert – review". The Guardian. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Michael Deibert’s homepage
- Michael Deibert's blog
- Coventry University Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies staff page