|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (April 2011)|
|Michael E. Engh S.J.|
|28th President of Santa Clara University|
|Term||January 5, 2009 –|
|Predecessor||Paul Locatelli, S.J.|
December 14, 1949 |
|Profession||Jesuit priest, historian|
Michael Eric Engh (born December 14, 1949) is an American Jesuit, academic and historian. he has served as the President of Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, California, since January 5, 2009.
Engh has previously worked as a professor of history at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. He also served as the dean Loyola Marymount's Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts before becoming president of Santa Clara University.
President of Santa Clara University
Engh officially became the 28th President of Santa Clara University on January 5, 2009. His official inauguration was held on April 24, 2009, at Santa Clara's Leavey Event Center. The ceremony was attended by approximately 1,500 guests, including the leaders or representatives of more than 100 universities and colleges. He was re-elected to a six year term in November 2013.
In October 2013, Engh made the decision to drop health insurance coverage of elective abortions for the Catholic university's faculty and staff. He wrote a letter to the school's faculty and staff stating that he and the university "studied how the school can structure its medical insurance plans in 2014 to be compliant with federal and California laws and regulations while representing its values as a Jesuit university." Neither the Affordable Care Act or California law mandate employers to cover elective abortions. The faculty senate of the school took a vote and declared Engh's resolution invalid, but the final decision rests with the board of trustees of the school.
One of Engh's best known works is Frontier Faiths: Church, Temple, and Synagogue in Los Angeles, published in 1992.
- "Executive Profile". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "Michael E. Engh, S.J., Becomes Santa Clara University's 28th President (press release)". Santa Clara University. 2009-04-24. Retrieved 2010-07-24.
- "Trustees re-elect Santa Clara University president Michael Engh, S.J.". California Catholic Daily. 26 November 2013.
- Tracy Seipel &, Josh Richman (9 October 2013). "Santa Clara University president triggers abortion uproar". San Jose Mercury News.
- By Scott Budman &, Chris Roberts (10 October 2013). "Abortion Uproar at Santa Clara University". NBC News.
- JESSERER SMITH, PETER (8 January 2014). "Abortion Standoff Between Santa Clara University President and Faculty". National Catholic Register.