Michael Farries Ashby CBE, FRS, FREng (born 1935) is a British materials engineer. He is a Royal Society Research Professor, and a Principal Investigator at the Engineering Design Centre at Cambridge University. He is known for his contributions in Materials Science in the field of material selection.
Education and honours
- CBE, 1997
- F.Eng., 1993
- Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1993
- Fellow, Royal Society, 1979
- Ph.D., Cambridge University, Cambridge 1961
- M.A., Cambridge University, Cambridge 1959
- B.A., Natural Science (Metallurgy), Cambridge University, Cambridge, 1957 (First Class Honours)
- A. A. Griffith Medal and Prize, 1981
- Ashby, Mike and Johnson, Kara 'Materials and Design, the Art and Science of Materials Selection in Product Design' Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, 2002 ISBN 0-7506-5554-2
- ASHBY, M F. 'How to Write a Paper'
- ASHBY, M F. 'Materials Selection and Process in Mechanical Design.' Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, 1999 ISBN 0-7506-4357-9
- ASHBY, M.F. and CEBON. D. 'Case studies in Materials Selection.' First Edition, Granta Design, Cambridge, 1996, Second Edition, Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, 1999.
- ASHBY, M.F. and GIBSON, L.J. 'Cellular Solids Structure and Properties.' Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1997 ISBN 0-521-49911-9
- ASHBY, M.F.and JONES, D.R.H. 'Engineering Materials 1, Second Edition.' Butterworth Heineman, Oxford, 1996.
- ASHBY, M.F. and JONES, D.R.H. 'Engineering Materials 2, Second Edition.' Butterworth Heineman, Oxford, 1998.
- ASHBY, M.F. and WATERMAN, N.A. 'The Chapman and Hale Material Selector.' Chapman and Hall, London, Volumes 1-3, 1996