Fertik at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting of the New Champions in 2012
October 1, 1978|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Founder & Chief Executive Officer of Reputation.com, Inc.|
|Member_of||The World Economic Forum Global Agenda Council on Internet Security, The Future of Privacy Forum, The Internet Keepsafe Coalition (iKeepSafe)|
|Alma_Mater||Harvard College, (B.A., 2000), Harvard Law School, J.D., 2005|
Michael Fertik (born October 1, 1978) is an American Internet entrepreneur. He is the Chief Executive Officer and founder of Reputation.com, Inc. a technology company focused on matters of online reputation management (ORM) and Internet privacy. Fertik also serves on the World Economic Forum Global Agenda Council on Internet Security and the Advisory Boards for the Future of Privacy Forum and the Internet Keepsafe Coalition.
While clerking under Judge Boggs, Fertik began to notice the escalating trend of cyber-bullying, which was having drastic consequences on people’s lives both online and in the real world. After his clerkship ended in 2006, Fertik launched Reputation.com (formerly ReputationDefender, Inc.) to protect Internet privacy, monitor and manage online reputations, and “give individuals real control over their digital lives”. Originally based in Louisville, Kentucky, he moved Reputation.com to Silicon Valley shortly after receiving around $1 million in angel investments. Since then, he has helped raise more than $65 million for Reputation.com, with funding from August Capital, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and JAFCO Ventures. Fertik has been a frequent guest on national television programs, including Dr. Phil, Fox News, Good Morning America, and BBC World News.
In addition to his work at Reputation.com, Fertik participates in and provides direction for various advocacy programs. He sits on the Advisory Boards of the Internet Keepsafe Coalition (iKeepSafe) and the Future of Privacy Forum. Fertik contributes articles on business and technology and advice on positive online conduct to blogs at the Harvard Business Review, Reuters, and The Huffington Post. Along with attorney Dave Thompson, Fertik authored Amazon.com-bestselling book Wild West 2.0, a guide to online reputation management. Fertik was also a Founder of TruExchange
- "Management Team". Reputation.com. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
-  World Economic Forum "Global Agenda Council on Internet Security 2010" Retrieved April 2011
-  Future of Privacy Forum "FPF Advisory Board" Retrieved April 2011
-  iKeepSafe. "IKSC Partners" Retrieved April 2011
-  Harvard magazine, "Internet Sheriff" Retrieved April 2011.
-  Venture Beat, "Reputationdefender helps you clean up your reputation" March 15, 2007, Retrieved April 2011
-  Tech Crunch , "Online Privacy Startup Reputationdefender raises 15 Million" Jun 22, 2010, Retrieved April 2011
-  Harvard Business Review, "Managing Employees In Their Twenties" January 19, 2011, Retrieved April 2011
-  Reuters, "Privacy and Digital Reputation: Five Predictions for 2011" DEC 31, 2010, Retrieved April 2011
-  Huffington Post, "Michael Fertik"
-  Wildwest2.0, "Wild West 2.0 is an Amazon.com Bestseller" June 17th, 2010, Retrieved April 2011
-  Amazon.com, "Wild West 2.0" Retrieved April 2011