||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
|Born||Michael Aaron Fishman
October 22, 1981
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Jennifer Briner (1999-present) 2 children|
Fishman's acting career began after he met Roseanne Barr during an early audition. Although he had no experience, Barr fought for Fishman to play D.J. Conner. He worked on Roseanne from age six to fifteen.
Post-Roseanne work: 1997–2000
After nine seasons, Roseanne ended in 1997. Fishman lamented, "the end of the show was one of the hardest times of my life. I was devastated. The cast and crew were my family. I'll always love so many of those people. They shaped me as a person and made me who I am".
He appeared in guest roles on Walker, Texas Ranger and Seinfeld, and earned a recurring role alongside Andrew Dice Clay on Hitz just before it was canceled. Fishman also appeared in films, including Steven Spielberg's Artificial Intelligence: A.I.. He then reconnected with Barr as a co-host of The Roseanne Show, which ran for two years before it was canceled in 2000.
Return to entertainment industry: 2006–present
After the death of Glenn Quinn, Fishman reconnected with his entertainment industry roots. He began working behind the camera to gain the technical skills "necessary to move toward directing and producing", and has done set building, set design, camera operating, assistant directing and props. He was the primary builder and fabricator in an art department group nominated for an Emmy in "Outstanding Set Design / Art Direction" on "Sports Science".
Since 2006 Fishman has been taking acting classes to "refine my acting skills in order to return as an adult". During these years he has also begun to write and create his own material. In a recent interview he declared, "I'm back pursuing my first love. You don't always know how much you love something until it's gone. Losing Glenn Quinn reminded me how little time we have and motivated my pursuit of acting again full time". His goal is "to not only earn good work as an actor, but write and produce good work for others. I take professionalism very seriously. Whoever hires me is getting a motivated blue-collar worker ready to show what I can do as an adult”.
Fishman appeared on the Passover episode (season 1 episode 7) of Barr's reality show Roseanne's Nuts on August 3, 2011.
Fishman just wrapped "Undrafted" starring alongside Aaron Tveit, Chace Crawford, Tyler Hoechlin, Joseph Mazzello, Philip Winchester, Matt Barr, James Belushi, Billy Gardell & Manny Montana [expected out 2014]
|1997||Little Bigfoot 2: The Journey Home||Mike Holliday|
|2001||A.I. Artificial Intelligence||Teen in Van|
|1988–1997||Roseanne||D.J. Conner||221 episodes|
|1990||Little Rosie||Various Characters||Voice Role
|1996||Hey Arnold!||Joey||Voice Role
Episode: "Spelling Bee/Pigeon Man"
|1997||Seinfeld||Gregg||Episode: "The Apology"|
|1999||Walker, Texas Ranger||Snake||Episode: "Lost Boys"|
|1999||The Roseanne Show||Co-Host||54 Episodes|
|2011||Roseanne's Nuts||Himself||Episode: "Passover"|
Awards and nominations
- 2007: Nominated, "Outstanding Production Design / Art Direction" - Sports Science
- 2008: Won, "Innovator Award" - Roseanne
- 1989: Nominated, "Best Young Actor Under Nine Years of Age" - Roseanne
- 1991: Nominated, "Best Young Actor Under Nine Years of Age" - Roseanne
- 1995: Won, "Best Performance: Young Actor in a TV Comedy Series" - Roseanne
- 1997: Nominated, "Best Performance by a Young Actor in a Comedy TV Series" - Roseanne
- Fishman, Michael. "IMDB".
- Newcomb, Horace (1994). Television: the critical view (5th ed.). Oxford University Press. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-19-508528-0. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- Barr, Roseanne (2011). Roseannearchy: Dispatches from the Nut Farm. Simon and Schuster. p. 148. ISBN 978-1-4391-5482-3. Retrieved April 4, 2011. "Michael Fishman has two kids and a wonderful wife; he also has a unique and funny personality, and a lot of talent and potential that I hope he continues to bring forth."
- Barrett, Barbara DeMarco (December 1997). "A guide to Orange County's specialized public schools". Orange Coast Magazine (Emmis Communications) 23 (12): 173. ISSN 0279-0483. Retrieved April 4, 2011. "Current students include Michael Fishman of Roseanne fame [...]. Orange County High School of the Arts, Los Alamitos High School [...]"