|Born||Michael G. Flood
|Alma mater||Australian National University|
Michael G. Flood is an Australian pro-feminist sociologist at the University of Wollongong. Flood gained his doctorate in gender and sexuality studies from the Australian National University. His areas of research are on violence against women, fathering, pro-feminism, domestic violence, the effects of pornography on young people, safe sex and heterosexual men, men's movements as a backlash to the feminist movement, men's relationships with each other and with women, homophobia, men's health, and gender justice. He is a regular contributor to and is regularly quoted in the media on these and other issues.
Flood is a co-editor of the International Encyclopedia of Men and Masculinities, and the author of numerous academic papers on issues related to men and gender. Flood has also worked as a pro-feminist educator and activist, addressing men's violence against women. He coordinates, edits and contributes to XY, a pro-feminist website providing a range of commentary and research on men and masculinities, male sexuality, feminism, the men's movement and male violence from a feminist perspective. He also coordinates The Men's Bibliography, an online collection of over 22,000 works on men, masculinities, and gender.
- Flood (2003). "Lust, trust and latex: why young heterosexual men do not use condoms". Culture, Health & Sexuality 5 (4): 353–369. doi:10.1080/1369105011000028273.
- Flood (2004). "Backlash: Angry men's movements". In Rossi, Stacey Elin. The Battle and Backlash Rage On: Why Feminism Cannot Be Obsolete. Philadelphia, PA: Xlibris. pp. 261–278. ISBN 978-1-4134-5934-0.
- Flood (2005). "Men's Collective Struggles for Gender Justice: The Case of Anti-Violence Activism". In Kimmel, Michael S.; Hearn, Jeff; Connell, Raewyn. Handbook of studies on men & masculinities. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: SAGE Publications. pp. 458—466. ISBN 978-0-7619-2369-5.
- Flood; Pease, Bob (2005). "Undoing Men's Privilege and Advancing Gender Equality in Public Sector Institutions". Policy and Society 24 (4): 119–138. doi:10.1016/s1449-4035(05)70123-5.
- Flood et al., ed. (2007). International Encyclopedia of Men and Masculinities. London, New York: Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-33343-6.
- Flood (2007). "Exposure to pornography among youth in Australia". Journal of Sociology 43 (1): 45–60. doi:10.1177/1440783307073934.
- Flood (2007). "Involving Men in Gender Practice and Policy". Critical Half 5 (1): 9–14.
- Flood (2008). "Men, Sex, and Homosociality: How Bonds between Men Shape Their Sexual Relations with Women". Men and Masculinities 10 (3): 339–359. doi:10.1177/1097184X06287761.
- Flood (2008). "Bent Straights: Diversity and Flux among Heterosexual Men". In Oleksy, E. H. Intimate Citizenships: Gender, Sexualities, Politics. London: Routledge. pp. 223–240. ISBN 978-0-415-99076-9.
- Flood; Pease, Bob (2009). "Factors Influencing Attitudes to Violence Against Women". Trauma, Violence, & Abuse 10 (2): 125–142. doi:10.1177/1524838009334131.
- Flood (2010). "'Fathers' Rights' and the Defense of Paternal Authority in Australia". Violence Against Women 16 (3): 328–347. doi:10.1177/1077801209360918.
- Flood (2010). "Young Men Using Porn". In Boyle, Karen. Everyday Pornography. London, New York: Routledge. pp. 164–178. ISBN 978-0-415-54378-1.
- Flood (2011). "Men as Students and Teachers of Feminist Scholarship". Men and Masculinities 14 (2): 135–154. doi:10.1177/1097184X11407042.
- Flood (2011). "Involving Men in Efforts to End Violence Against Women". Men and Masculinities 14 (3): 358–377. doi:10.1177/1097184X10363995.
- Stark, Evan; Buzawa, Eve S. (2009). Violence Against Women in Families and Relationships. Santa Barbara, California: Praeger Publishers. p. 166. ISBN 0275998487.
- Tarrant, Shira (2009). Men and Feminism. Berkeley, California: Seal Press. p. 113. ISBN 1580052584.
- Lamb, Michael E. (2010). The Role of the Father in Child Development (5th ed.). Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 047040549X.
- Michael Flood, (2000), PhD thesis: Lust, Trust and Latex: Why young heterosexual men don't use condoms, Australian National University
- Men and masculinity: Adele Horin, (1 December 2003), Fathers still not sharing load, says study, Sydney Morning Herald; Fallout from the Bulldogs, (broadcast 7:50am – Thursday 29 April 2004), Breakfast, ABC Radio National RealAudio); Farah Farouque, (26 February 2005), The solitary confinement of the Aussie bloke, The Age
- Domestic violence: Michael Flood, (23 January 2004), Booze, bravado and male honour make for a culture of violence, Sydney Morning Herald; Deborah Gough, (20 August 2006), Women hit in message of violence, The Age, Jason Om, Ombudsman finds domestic violence campaign 'misleading', ABC News, updated Thu Sep 2, 2010 2:10pm AEST
- Censorship and the internet: Young people exposed to pornography online, AM, ABC Radio National, broadcast 3 March 2003, Reporter: Louise Yaxley; Rachel Maher, 'Net Nanny' Advocate Does Back Flip, (5 June 2009), New Matilda
- Liz Gooch, (27 July 2005), One in three people think gays immoral, The Age
- Michael Flood, Judith Kegan Gardiner, Bob Pease & Keith Pringle (eds), (2007), International Encyclopedia of Men and Masculinities,Routledge, ISBN 978-0-415-33343-6
- The Men’s Bibliography at XY