Mike Hinchey studied at the University of Limerick as an undergraduate (was the leading student in his graduating year), Oxford University (at Wolfson College) for his MSc and Cambridge University (at St John's College) for his PhD.
Hinchey has been a promulgator of formal methods throughout his career, especially CSP and the Z notation. He was Director of the Software Engineering Laboratory at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center and is the founding editor-in-chief of the NASA journal Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering, launched in 2005.
He has held numerous visiting professorships both visiting and permanent, in a number of universities including the University of Nebraska, Queen's University Belfast, New Jersey Institute of Technology (Assistant Professor) and the Skövde University College in Sweden and was at Loyola College in Maryland, USA, before his current post.
Selected publications 
- Hinchey, M.G. and Bowen, J.P., editors, Applications of Formal Methods. Prentice Hall International Series in Computer Science, 1995. ISBN 0-13-366949-1.
- Dean, C.N. and Hinchey, M.G., editors, Teaching and Learning Formal Methods, Academic Press, London, 1996. ISBN 0-12-349040-5.
- Bowen, J.P. and Hinchey, M.G., editors, High-Integrity System Specification and Design. Springer-Verlag, London, FACIT series, 1999. ISBN 3-540-76226-4.
- Hinchey, M.G. and Bowen, J.P., editors, Industrial-Strength Formal Methods in Practice. Springer-Verlag, London, FACIT series, 1999. ISBN 1-85233-640-4.
- "Hinchey, Michael G. (Michael Gerard) 1969–". WorldCat. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Lero appoint NASA expert Prof Mike Hinchey as co-director, Wayback Machine.
- Directors, Lero, Ireland.
- Hinchey, Michael G., countrybookshop.
- 'NJIT-CIS: Graduate Project Information', New Jersey Institute of Technology, USA.