|Born||Michael Thomas Gargiulo
February 15, 1976 
|Other names||Hollywood Ripper
|Known for||Alleged serial killings|
Description of alleged crimes
Gargiulo is accused of stabbing three women to death and attempting to murder a fourth.
He is a native of Northfield Township, Illinois,[clarification needed], where he allegedly stabbed his neighbor, 18-year-old Tricia Pacaccio, to death at her home on August 14, 1993. She was stabbed 12 times. Gargiulo moved to Los Angeles in 1998, allegedly to escape scrutiny from police in Illinois.
Gargiulo is accused of three stabbings in Southern California between 2001 and 2008. On February 21, 2001, he allegedly stabbed Ashley Ellerin to death in her home in Hollywood. She was stabbed 35 times. Ellerin was dating Ashton Kutcher at the time and, and they had planned to go to a post-Grammy Awards party the night she was killed. He allegedly stabbed his neighbor, Maria Bruno, to death at her home in of El Monte, California, on December 1, 2005. She was stabbed 17 times. He is charged with the attempted murder of his neighbor, Michelle Murphy, in her home in Santa Monica on April 28, 2008. She fought off the attack, and blood matching Gargiulo's DNA was found at the scene.
Arrest and prosecution
Gargiulo was arrested by the Santa Monica Police Department on June 6, 2008. Although Gargiulo is charged in the two California murders as well as the Pacaccio murder in Chicaco, police have not linked him to any other murders. Gargiulo allegedly told authorities in the Los Angeles County Jail that just because 10 women were killed — and his DNA was present — doesn’t mean he murdered anyone, leading investigators to believe that there are more victims.
- Richards, Tori (undated). "Michael Gargiulo: Alleged Hollywood Ripper – El Monte". TruTv. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Staff (July 7, 2011). "Man Charged with Murder in Cold Case Featured on "48 Hours Mystery". 48 Hours. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Grad, Shelby (July 8, 2011). "Killing of Ashley Ellerin". L.A. Now – Southern California – This Just In (blog of the Los Angeles Times). Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Richards, Tori (undated). "Michael Gargiulo: Alleged Hollywood Ripper – ". TruTV. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Pelisek, Christine (November 25, 2010). "The Chiller Killer – Michael Gargiulo, Accused of Killing Ashton Kutcher's Girlfriend and Other L.A. Beauties, Got Close as the Helpful Air-Conditioning Repairman". LA Weekly. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Staff (November 18, 2010). "Family Says 'Hollywood Ripper' Killed in Chicago Area First". CBS News (via WBBM-TV). Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Staff (undated). "Michael Gargiulo Under Arrest". CBS News. Retrieved August 3, 2012.