|Born||Olympia, Washington, US|
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College|
Michael Glatze (born c. 1975) was co-founder of Young Gay America and a former advocate for gay rights. Glatze received media coverage for publicly announcing that he no longer identified as a homosexual and denouncing homosexuality.
Glatze was born in Olympia, Washington, United States. His mother was a non-denominational Christian and his father was agnostic. His father died of a heart condition when Glatze was 13, and his mother died when he was 19. Glatze earned a bachelor's degree from Dartmouth College where he majored in English literature and creative writing, with a minor in music.
While working at XY Magazine in San Francisco, Glatze met Benjie Nycum. The two would end up being boyfriends for 10 years. They later co-founded their own publication, Young Gay America magazine (YGA Mag). Glatze and Nycum coauthored the book XY Survival Guide (2000).
In 2005, Glatze was quoted by Time Magazine saying "I don't think the gay movement understands the extent to which the next generation just wants to be normal kids. The people who are getting that are the Christian right."
Glatze turned toward Christianity after a health scare due to heart palpitations. Worried that he was affected by the same heart condition which claimed his father's life, he sought medical help. The palpitations turned out to be due to anemia, caused by celiac disease. He joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the first half of 2007 but left shortly thereafter.
Glatze has written two pieces about his change which appeared in online media outlet WorldNetDaily. He has also received media coverage in other publications and blogs. Glatze currently lives in La Grange, Wyoming.
- Denizet-Lewis, Benoit (June 19, 2011). "Going Straight". New York Times Magazine. Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- Nicolos, Joseph. Interview with Michael Glatze, retrieved 2008-09-23
- "Leading Gay Rights Activist Comes Out of Homosexuality, Tells His Story", The Christian Post, July 5, 2007, retrieved 2008-09-23
- Schindler, Paul (July 11, 2007), "The Life and Death of A Young Gay American", Gay City News, archived from the original on June 3, 2008, retrieved September 23, 2008[dead link]
- Cloud, John (October 2, 2005), "The Battle Over Gay Teens", Time Magazine, retrieved 2008-011-23
- Nycum, Benjie; Glatze, Michael (2000), XY Survival Guide, X Y Pub, ISBN 978-0-9703213-4-3
- Foucher, David (July 11, 2007), "My Ex-Gay Life :: Choosing Heterosexuality", EDGE Boston, retrieved 2008-09-23
- Throckmorton, Warren (July 4, 2007), Interview with Michael Glatze, retrieved 2008-011-23
- Glatze, Michael (July 3, 2007), "How a 'gay rights' leader became straight", WorldNetDaily, retrieved 2008-09-23
- Glatze, Michael (July 10, 2007), "Confessions of a former 'gay rights' leader", WorldNetDaily, retrieved 2008-09-23