Michael Grumley (1942–1988) was an American writer and artist.
Grumley was born in Bettendorf, Iowa. He attended the University of Denver, the City College of New York and the Iowa Writers' Workshop  Grumley received a B.S. Degree with a major in Philosophy from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on June 7, 1964.
He was a founding member of The Violet Quill. His partner, another founding member of the Quill, was Robert Ferro. He wrote a regularly appearing column Uptown for the New York Native. Following their deaths, the Ferro-Grumley Foundation, which manages their estate, created and endowed the annual Ferro-Grumley Award for LGBT fiction in conjunction with Publishing Triangle.
Grumley was interested in cryptozoology, he was the author of a book on Bigfoot, titled There are Giants in the Earth the book was first published in 1975 with a later edition appearing in 1976. In the book Grumley concluded that anthropoid giants once roamed the earth, and that today there are still isolated survivors which he claimed are living in underground tunnels and caves.
Works and Publications
- Atlantis : the autobiography of a search. Bell. 1970.
- There are giants in the earth. Doubleday. 1974. ISBN 0-385-07583-9.
- Hard corps: studies in leather and sadomasochism. E P Dutton. 1977. ISBN 0-525-47457-9.
- After midnight: the world of the people who live and work at night. Scribner. 1978. ISBN 0-684-15310-6.
- Life drawing : a novel. Grove. 1991. ISBN 0-8021-1438-5.
- "Michael Grumley; Author, 46". The New York Times. 1988-10-04. Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Commencement Program, June 7, 1964. See also Michael Zetteler, the Zonyx Report, www.reocities.com/enchantedforest/field/8106/TEXTS/BugHist.html
- Edmund White, A Boy's Own Story, London:Picador, 1994
- "Robert Ferro, 46, Dies". The New York Times. 1998-07-12. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Picano, Felice (2007). Art and sex in Greenwich Village : gay literary life after Stonewall. New York: Carroll and Graf. ISBN 0-7867-1813-7.
- Michael Grumley, There are Giants in the Earth, Panther Books, Ltd.,1976. (pp. 42-47 refer to an ancient tunnel on the Ecuador-Columbia border)
|This article about a novelist of the United States born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|