Michael John (Mike) Gruninger (born c. 1966) is a Canadian computer scientist and Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto, known for his work on Enterprise modelling, particularly the work on the TOVE Project with Mark S. Fox, and for his work on Ontologies in information science.
Gruninger studied computer Science and received his BA in 1987 at the University of Alberta, and his MA in 1989 at the University, where in 2000 he also received his PhD with a thesis entitled "Logical foundations of shape-based object recognition."
In 1993 Gruninger started as researcher at the Enterprise Integration Laboratory of the University of Toronto, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. Since 1997 he is guest researcher at the Manufacturing Systems Integration Division of the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST). From 2005 to 2010 he was researcher at the Institute for Systems Research at the University of Maryland, College Park. Since 2010 he is back in Canada as Assistant Professor of Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto, where he runs the Semantic Technologies Lab.,
Gruninger's research interests are in the field of "the design and formal characterization of theories in mathematical logic and their application to problems in manufacturing and enterprise engineering."
- Grüninger, Michael, and Mark S. Fox. "Methodology for the Design and Evaluation of Ontologies." (1995).
- Uschold, Mike, and Michael Gruninger. "Ontologies: Principles, methods and applications." Knowledge engineering review 11.2 (1996): 93-136.
- Fox, Mark S., and Michael Gruninger. "Enterprise modeling." AI magazine 19.3 (1998): 109.
- Gruninger, Michael, and Jintae Lee. "ONTOLOGY." Communications of the ACM 45.2 (2002): 39.
- Uschold, Michael, and Michael Gruninger. "Ontologies and semantics for seamless connectivity." ACM SIGMod Record 33.4 (2004): 58-64.
- Wooldridge, Michael. An introduction to multiagent systems. Wiley. com, 2008.
- Guarino, Nicola, ed. Formal Onthology in Information Systems: Proceedings of the First International Conference (FIOS'98), June 6–8, Trento, Italy. Vol. 46. IOS press, 1998.
- AAAI 96 Thirteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence brochure 1996. Accessed 10 October 2013
- Michael Gruninger at Semantic Technologies Lab. Accessed October 10, 2013.
- Michael Grüninger at DBLP Computer Science Bibliography
- Michael Gruninger, University of Toronto Google Scholar profile.
- Michael Gruninger at Semantic Technologies Lab.