Michael Hearst performing at Joe's Pub in New York, NY.
|Born||December 27, 1972|
|Origin||Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA|
|Genres||Alternative rock, Experimental music, Soundtrack|
|Occupations||Composer, Musician, Writer, Music Producer|
|Instruments||Keyboards, Guitar, Vocals, Claviola, Theremin, Bass, Drums|
|Years active||1991 to present|
|Associated acts||One Ring Zero, Songs For Ice Cream Trucks, Songs For Unusual Creatures, Anon, Maud Gonne, Fashion Central, Schwa|
Michael Marcus Hearst (born December 27, 1972, Virginia Beach, Virginia) is a composer, multi-instrumentalist, and writer. His musical instruments include claviola, theremin, guitar, piano, drums and bass. Hearst is a founding member of the eclectic musical group One Ring Zero, which started in Richmond, VA in 1997 and relocated to Brooklyn, NY in 2001. The group has released multiple albums since its formation. The albums are often programmatic and/or collaborative, such as the acclaimed As Smart As We Are, which consists of lyrics contributed by various authors including Paul Auster, Margaret Atwood, Jonathan Lethem, A.M. Homes, Neil Gaiman, Rick Moody and Dave Eggers; the book/cd The Recipe Project, which is a collection of recipes set to music and sung word for word in the musical style suggested by the chefs, including Mario Batali, Chris Cosentino, Andrea Reusing, David Chang, John Besh, Mark Kurlansky, Michael Symon, and Isa Chandra Moskowitz; and Planets, which is a collection of new compositions to represent the solar system and beyond. Hearst says of Planets, "It had been just about 100 years since Holst had composed his song cycle The Planets. It seemed like it was time to musically revisit our solar system and come up with our own song cycle."
As a solo artist, Hearst's work includes the album Songs For Ice Cream Trucks, Songs For Unusual Creatures, the audio website Songs For Newsworthy News, and the soundtrack to several films, including The Good Mother, The House of Suh, Magic Camp, To Be Takei, and Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger.
Hearst also established Urban Geek Studios and Urban Geek Records, where he has produced, recorded, and worked on post production for a number of bands and projects including Guided by Voices, Tanya Donelly, Kansas (band), The Holy Modal Rounders, and Robert Creeley.
Hearst has performed and given lectures and workshops at universities, museums, and cultural centers around the world. He has also appeared on such shows at NPR's Fresh Air, A+E's Breakfast With The Arts, and NBC's The Today Show.
Hearst's most recent album Songs For Unusual Creatures is a collection of songs inspired by some of the lesser-known animals to roam the planet. For this project, he has composed works for Kronos Quartet, The Microscopic Septet, Margaret Leng Tan, and the League of Electronic Musical Urban Robots.
As a writer, Hearst's stories have appeared in literary journals such as McSweeney's Internet Tendency, Post Road, Parenthetical Note, The Lifted Brow, and The Muse Apprentice Guild. He is also the author of the non-fiction children's book Unusual Creatures."
On February 28, 2012, the Kronos Quartet performed the world premier of Hearst's composition "Secret Word" at Zankel Hall. The work is a tribute to the late 80's television series Pee-wee's Playhouse. For the debut performance, Hearst joined the quartet on stage, performing claviola, theremin, and daxophone, and also conducting a toy instrument orchestra formed from audience members who took the stage.
In 2010, Hearst began co-writing music with Tanya Donelly, and in October, 2011 performed with her at concerts in New York City and Boston, along with Rick Moody, Claudia Gonson, Hannah Marcus, Sam Davol, and Carrie Bradley.
In April, 2009, Hearst performed Terry Riley's Concert in C alongside the Kronos Quartet, Philip Glass, Dave Douglas (trumpeter), Osvaldo Golijov, Morton Subotnick, and many others at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
- Schwa Footleg Room (1991) (Joe Lee Records)
- Schwa Phoney Karate (1992) (Joe Lee Records)
- Fashion Central Underwood (1994) (Brilliant Records)
- Maud Gonne Buff Silky (1996) (Urban Geek Records)
- Anon Anon (1998) (Urban Geek Records)
- One Ring Zero Tranz Party (1999) (Planetary Records)
- One Ring Zero Alice (2001) (Urban Geek Records)
- One Ring Zero Interludes and Out-takes from The Pumpkin Pie Show” (2001) (Urban Geek Records)
- One Ring Zero Memorandum (2002) (Urban Geek Records)
- One Ring Zero As Smart As We Are” (2004) (Soft Skull Press)
- Rick Moody and One Ring Zero Rick Moody and One Ring Zero (2004) (Isota Records)
- One Ring Zero New York Spleen (2005) (Naïve Records-France)
- Sophie Auster Sophie Auster (2005) (Actes Sud / Naïve Records)
- One Ring Zero As Smart As We Are (2006) (Barbes Records)
- One Ring Zero Wake Them Up (2006) (Barbes Records)
- One Ring Zero Wake Them Up (2007) (Moor Works-Japan)
- Michael Hearst Songs For Ice Cream Trucks (2007) (Urban Geek Records/Bar-None Records)
- Beat Circus Dreamland (2008) (Cuneiform Records)
- One Ring Zero Live At Barbes (2008) (Barbes Records)
- One Ring Zero Ten Years Of Extra Stuff (2009) (Urban Geek Records)
- One Ring Zero Planets (2010) (Moor Works-Japan)
- One Ring Zero Planets (2010) (Urban Geek Records)
- One Ring Zero As Smart As We Are (2010) (Moor Works-Japan)
- One Ring Zero The Recipe Project (2011) (Urban Geek Records / Black Balloon Publishing)
- Michael Hearst Songs For Unusual Creatures (2012) (Urban Geek Records)
- Schwa (1993) (Brilliant Records)
- Fashion Central (1995) (Spin Art Records)
- One Ring Zero “The Sirens of Red Hot” (2004) (Isota Records)
- One Ring Zero and Rick Moody (2004) (Isota Records)
- Late Bloomer (2004) (dir. Craig Macneill) with One Ring Zero
- The Good Mother (2009) (dir. Sarah Klein)
- Nicht Lustig (2010) (dir. Gerd Schneider)
- The House Of Suh (2010) (dir. Iris K. Shim)
- Magic Camp (2012) (dir. Judd Ehrlich)
- Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger (2013) (dir. Sam Feder)
- To Be Takei (2014) (dir. Jennifer M. Kroot)
- As Smart As We Are (2004) (Soft Skull Press)
- New York Spleen (2005) (Naïve Records-France)
- The Recipe Project (2011) (Black Balloon Publishing)
- Unusual Creatures (2012) (Chronicle Books)
- One Ring Zero “Addendum” (2005) (Urban Geek Records)
- As subject One Ring Zero “As Smart As Thet Are” (2006) (Urban Geek Records)
- MichaelHearst.com - Official website