R. Michael Hendrix is an American graphic designer and entrepreneur. He has been a recognized advocate and practitioner of design thinking since co-founding Tricycle Inc., a sustainable design firm in 2002.
Hendrix is a Partner and Managing Director of the IDEO Boston studio where he practices brand strategy, creative direction and graphic design. He cites a diagram by Charles Eames as a motivation for joining IDEO.
He graduated from The University of Tennessee in 1994 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design.
In a 2008 Interview with GDUSA Hendrix said, "Designers have a chance to make significant contributions as we face mounting challenges like global warming, culture wars and shifting world powers. The challenge is to understand systems of influence and to create strategies to address them at connection points. We need to be aware that the design thinking skills used in our craft are also applicable to business and social concerns."
On starting an environmentally friendly carpet sample company he said, "“One of my primary reasons for cofounding Tricycle was the search for a career with greater meaning and social signiﬁcance,” Hendrix adds. After several years as a practicing designer, he was ready for a change. “I began to believe it was possible to change the way design works, to beneﬁt the designer, client, and larger society.”
While at Tricycle Inc. he was made an AIGA Fellow for significant contributions to the field of graphic design, received the Industrial Designers Society of America IDEA award for the carpet simulations, was selected for the Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt National Design Triennial, and was a Top Nominee (now referred to as Finalist) for the Danish INDEX Awards for Tricycle's sampling program.
Hendrix writes and performs music as R.M. Hendrix. He released one album and two eps in 2011 with minor press coverage. Indie Machine described his music as "new wave with a side order of shoegaze".
- Michael Hendrix professional CV on LinkedIn
- Michael Hendrix interview at Future M about IDEO and the breadth of design thinking
- Michael Hendrix presentation at AIGA GAIN 2006 about the genesis of Tricycle Inc.
- Transcript of Sustainable Sampling Interview at Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum, 2007
- Recorded Video Presentation at Smithsonian Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum, 2007 (starts at 29 minutes)
- R.M. Hendrix Music Site
- Overfelt, Maggie. "A startup produces environmentally friendly carpet samples". Fortune Small Business. CNN Money. Retrieved October 24, 2006.
- "Michael Hendrix". IDEO. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- Liu, Christine (September 2011). "Idea Man: Michael Hendrix". Boston Home (Fall 2011). Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Alumni: Where Are They Now?". UT Knoxville: School of Art. University of Tennessee.
- "People to Watch". GD USA (January). January 2008. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- Currey, Mason (October 2007). "Dematerializing Samples". Metropolis. Materials (October). Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- Sherin, Aaris (2008). SustainAble: : A Handbook of Materials and Applications for Graphic Designers and Their Clients. USA: Rockport Publishers; 1 edition (July 1, 2008). pp. 148–162. ISBN 1-59253-401-5.
- "AIGA Fellow". AIGA. AIGA. 2008.
- "SIM from Tricycle". IDSA. IDSA.
- "Tryk". Cooper Hewitt National Design Triennial.
- "SIM Carpet Simulation". INDEX: DESIGN TO IMPROVE LIFE. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "R. Michael Hendrix Biography by AIGA". AIGA. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Hendrix, Michael; Jane Fulton Suri (May 1, 2010). "Developing Design Sensibilities". Rotman.
- "Artist Site". R.M.Hendrix Discography.
- "New Release: R.M. HENDRIX – The Dreadful Mess / Super Mo EP". The Indie Machine. Retrieved 20 February 2012.