Michael Horton (theologian)
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (November 2011)|
|Michael S Horton|
|Born||1964 (age 48–49)|
|Notable work(s)||For Calvinism, The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way|
|Influenced by||John Calvin, Puritanism, Westminster Assembly|
|Tradition or movement||Calvinism|
|Main interests||Systematic Theology, Apologetics, Historical Theology|
|Notable ideas||Predestination, Sola Fide|
Michael Scott Horton (born 1964) is the J. Gresham Machen Professor of Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California since 1998, Editor-in-Chief of Modern Reformation (MR) magazine, and President and host of the nationally syndicated radio broadcast, The White Horse Inn. Both Modern Reformation magazine and The White Horse Inn radio broadcast are now entities under the umbrella of White Horse Media, whose offices are located on the campus of Westminster Seminary California.
Horton was raised in an Arminian Southern Baptist church. While at high school, Horton adopted Calvinistic beliefs and began attending the Philadelphia Conference on Reformed Theology, where he met James Montgomery Boice, R.C. Sproul and J.I. Packer.
Horton received a B.A. degree at Biola University Since high school, he always knew he wanted to go to Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia. At the time, Westminster Seminary California in Escondido was just beginning in a small storefront but many of the men Horton was reading at the time were teachers at Westminster Seminary California and this eventually led to his choosing to get his M.A. from Westminster Seminary California. At Westminster Seminary California, Horton learned the Biblical languages and studied under Meredith Kline. He was blown away[tone] by the revolutionary concepts of Kline, Robert Strimple, Robert Godfrey, and Dennis Johnson.
He was ordained a deacon in the Reformed Episcopal Church. He was formerly the president of Christians United for Reformation (CURE), which later merged to become the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals (ACE). From 2001 to 2004 Horton served as the president of ACE, but is now no longer affiliated with the organization. Dr. Horton is also an ordained minister in the United Reformed Churches in North America and has served at two churches in Southern California and is currently Associate Pastor at Christ United Reformed Church in Santee, California, a member church of the United Reformed Churches in North America (URCNA) denomination. Horton teaches an Adult Sunday School class to educate men and women on Reformed Theology, sanctification, God and suffering and to catechize the on the basics of the Heidelberg Catechism. Pastor Horton's class is available on audio at the church website.
List of works 
Horton has written and edited more than fifteen books, including:
- The Agony of Deceit: What Some TV Preachers Are Really Teaching (1990)
- Putting Amazing Back Into Grace (1991)
- Beyond Culture Wars: Is America A Mission Field or Battlefield? (1994)
- Where In The World Is The Church: Understanding Culture & Your Role In It (1995)
- Power Religion: The Selling Out of The Evangelical Church, edited with Charles Colson (1997)
- Made In America: The Shaping of Modern American Evangelicalism (1998)
- We Believe: Recovering the Essentials of the Apostle's Creed (1998)
- Covenant and Eschatology (2002)
- A Better Way: Rediscovering the Drama of God-Centered Worship (2003)
- The Law of Perfect Freedom (2004)
- Lord and Servant: A Covenant Christology (2005)
- Covenant & Salvation: Union with Christ (2007)
- Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church (2008)
- People and Place: A Covenant Ecclesiology (2008; 2009 Christianity Today Book Award in Theology/Ethics) 
- Too Good to be True: Finding Hope in a World of Hype (2009)
- God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology (2009)
- The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World (2009)
- The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way (2011)
- For Calvinism, with Maurice England (2011)
- The Gospel Commission (2012)
- Westminster Seminary California - Faculty Page
- The White Horse Inn, Dr. Horton's radio program
- Modern Reformation Magazine
- Christ United Reformed Church, Dr. Horton's church
- Adult Bible Class, Dr. Horton's teachings on Catechism
- theopedia's entry on Michael S. Horton
- Joel Osteen Answers his Critics (60 Minutes story. Horton's appearance: from timestamp 7:20 until 8:35)
- Christian talk show promotion of his Agony of Deceit book
See also 
- "Michael S. Horton". Westminster Seminary California. Retrieved November 12, 2012.
- Horton, Michael (October 5, 2009). Meet Michael Horton. Interview with R. Scott Clark. Escondido, CA. http://wscal.edu/resource-center/resource/the-man-behind-the-mic. Retrieved November 12, 2012.
- "Monergism Books".
- "White Horse Inn:Meet Our Hosts".
- "Christ United Reformed Church".
- "Up & Comers, Part 2 | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction". Christianity Today. 1996-11-11. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Religion: Heresy on The Airwaves". Richard N. Ostling. Michael P. Harris. Time Magazine. Monday, Mar. 05, 1990.
- "2009 Christianity Today Book Awards | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction". Christianity Today. 2009-01-26. Retrieved 2012-02-20.