Michael J. Franklin
Michael J. Franklin is an American software entrepreneur and computer scientist specializing in distributed and streaming database technology. He is Thomas M. Siebel Professor of Computer Science at UC Berkeley  and is the founder as well as CTO of Truviso, which was acquired by Cisco in May 2012. At Berkeley he is Director of the Algorithms, Machines, and People Laboratory (AMPLab), a collaboration of computing systems, data management, machine learning researchers focused on large-scale data analytics. Professor Franklin is an ACM Fellow as well as SIGMOD Test of Time Award recipient. Professor Franklin is in the 2009 inaugural group of UMass' Alumni receiving achievement award from the CS Department at University of Massachusetts Amherst for Outstanding Achievement in Research.
Professor Franklin received a bachelor's degree from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 1983 and a master's degree from the Wang Institute of Graduate Studies in 1986. He earned a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1993 with his thesis Caching and memory management in client-server database systems.
- Liwen Sun (Ph.D., in progress, UCB)
- Shivaram Venkataraman (Ph.D., in progress, UCB), w/I. Stoica)
- Gene Pang (Ph.D., in progress, UCB)
- Reynold Xin (Ph.D., in progress, UCB)
- Nick Lanham (Ph.D., on leave, UCB)
- Beth Trushkowsky (Ph.D., in progress, UCB, w/A. Fox)
- Michael Armbrust (Ph.D., 2012-expected, UCB, w/A. Fox and D. Patterson), Google (starting in 2013)
- Daisy Zhe Wang (Ph.D., 2011, UCB, w/ M. Garofolakis and J. Hellerstein), U. Florida, Assistant Professor
- Shawn Jeffery (Ph.D.,2008, UCB), Co-Founder, Goodguide, Inc.
- David Liu (Ph.D.,2007, UCB), McKinsey & Company
- Matt Denny, (Ph.D.,2006, UCB), Bloomberg, Inc.
- Sailesh Krishnamurthy, (Ph.D.,2006, UCB), Co-Founder,Truviso, Inc.
- Sirish Chandrasekaran, (Ph.D.,2005, UCB), McKinsey & Company
- Yanlei Diao, (Ph.D.,2005, UCB), UMass Amherst, Associate Professor
- Sam Madden, (Ph.D.,2003, UCB, w/ J. Hellerstein), MIT, Professor
- Tolga Urhan, (Ph.D.,2001, UMD), Oracle
- Mehmet Altinel, (Ph.D.,2000, METU w/ A. Dogac), IBM Almaden Research Center
- Demet Aksoy, (Ph.D.,2000, UMD), UC Davis
- Björn Þór Jónsson, (Ph.D.,1998, UMD), Professor and Dean, School of Computer Science, Reykjavik University