Michael J. McShane
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
May 30, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Michael Hogan|
|Born||1961 (age 53–54)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Domestic partner||Gregory Ford|
|Alma mater||Gonzaga University
Lewis and Clark College
Michael Jerome McShane (born 1961) is a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon.
Early life, education and career
Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, McShane spent his childhood in a conservative Catholic family in Kennewick, Washington, where he attended high school. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in 1983 from Gonzaga University. Upon graduating, he joined the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, spending two years in Portland as a corrections counselor.
He left the Jesuit Volunteer Corps to go to law school, enrolling at Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College, from which he received his Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1988. He had worked for the Clark County District Attorney's office during law school but, on graduating, McShane joined the Office of the Metropolitan Public Defender in Portland, where he worked from 1988 to 1997.
He served as a full-time Judge Pro Tempore on the Multnomah County Circuit Court from 1997 to 2001 and as a Judge on the same court from 2001 to 2013. He handled civil, criminal and family court cases. He received the Oregon State Bar President's Public Service Award in 2012.
Nomination to U.S. District Court
On September 19, 2012, President Obama nominated McShane to serve as a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon, to the seat vacated by Judge Michael R. Hogan who took senior status on September 24, 2011. On January 2, 2013, his nomination was returned to the President, due to the sine die adjournment of the Senate.
The Senate confirmed his nomination on May 20, 2013, by voice vote. He received his commission on May 30, 2013.
On May 19, 2014, Judge McShane struck down Oregon's same-sex marriage ban in Geiger v. Kitzhaber. He ordered that marriages begin immediately and the state of Oregon refused to appeal the ruling. This resulted in the legalization of Same-sex marriage in Oregon.
McShane sits on the board of St. Andrew Nativity School, an inner city middle school for disadvantaged youth. In addition, he teaches at Lewis & Clark Law School.
- "Gay marriage: Openly gay judge, Michael McShane, in spotlight overseeing Oregon case". The Oregonian. April 17, 2014.
- "Michael McShane - Multnomah Bar Association". Mbabar.org. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Nomination announcement from". whitehouse.gov. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Renomination announcement". Whitehouse.gov. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Oregon Judicial Department (2012-09-19). "Obama nominates Multnomah County Circuit Judge Michael McShane to federal bench". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "President Obama Nominates Openly Gay Judge for Federal Court in Oregon | Human Rights Campaign". Hrc.org. 2012-09-21. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Denniston, Lyle (May 19, 2014). "Oregon’s same-sex marriage ban nullified". SCOTUSBlog. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Michael J. McShane at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon