Michael J. McShane
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
May 30, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Michael Hogan|
|Born||1961 (age 52–53)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Alma mater||Gonzaga University
Lewis and Clark College
Michael Jerome McShane (born 1961) is a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon.
Early life, education and career
Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, McShane spent his childhood in Kennewick, Washington, where he attended high school. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in 1983 from Gonzaga University. Upon graduating, he joined the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, spending two years in Portland as a corrections counselor.
He left the Jesuit Volunteer Corps to go to law school, enrolling at Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College, from which he received his Juris Doctorate, cum laude, in 1988. He had worked for the Clark County District Attorney's office during law school but, on graduating, McShane joined the Office of the Metropolitan Public Defender in Portland, where he worked from 1988 to 1997.
He served as a full-time Judge Pro Tempore on the Multnomah County Circuit Court from 1997 to 2001 and as a Judge on the same court from 2001 to 2013. He handled civil, criminal and family court cases. He received the Oregon State Bar President's Public Service Award in 2012.
Nomination to U.S. District Court
On September 19, 2012, President Obama nominated McShane to serve as a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon, to the seat vacated by Judge Michael R. Hogan who took senior status on September 24, 2011. On January 2, 2013, his nomination was returned to the President, due to the sine die adjournment of the Senate.
McShane sits on the board of St. Andrew Nativity School, an inner city middle school for disadvantaged youth. In addition, he teaches at Lewis & Clark Law School.
- "Michael McShane - Multnomah Bar Association". Mbabar.org. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Nomination announcement from". whitehouse.gov. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Renomination announcement". Whitehouse.gov. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- http://www.senate.gov/galleries/pdcl/. Retrieved 2013-12-05. Missing or empty
- Oregon Judicial Department (2012-09-19). "Obama nominates Multnomah County Circuit Judge Michael McShane to federal bench". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "President Obama Nominates Openly Gay Judge for Federal Court in Oregon | Human Rights Campaign". Hrc.org. 2012-09-21. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Michael J. McShane at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon