Michael Jackson: One
|Michael Jackson: One|
|Company||Cirque du Soleil|
|Date of premiere||May 23, 2013|
|Location||Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Writer and director||Jamie King|
|Creation director||Welby Altidor|
|Associate show director||Carla Kama|
|Musical designer||Kevin Antunes|
|Set and Props designer||Francois Séguin|
|Costume designer||Zaldy Goco|
|"Man in Mirror" scene creators||Michel Lemieux and Victor Pilon|
|Choreographers||Travis Payne, Rich and Tone Talauega, Parris Goebel, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Ivan Velez, Olivier Simola|
|Acrobatic performance designers||Germain Guillemot, Rob Bollinger|
|Acrobatic choreographers||Ben Potvin, Andrea Ziegler|
|Projection designers||Raymond St-Jean, Jimmy Lakatos|
|Lighting designer||David Finn|
|Sound designer||Jonathan Deans|
|Acrobatic equipment and rigging designer||Pierre Masse|
|Makeup designer||Nathalie Gagné|
|Preceded by||Amaluna (2012)|
|Succeeded by||Kurios (2014)|
Michael Jackson: One, was announced to the public and media on February 21, 2013 as the second Michael Jackson-based production in Cirque du Soleil's roster, after "Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour." In their continuing partnership with the Jackson estate, One evokes the entertainer's artistic style in several manners. The new production began previews on May 23, 2013 and the official world premiere was June 29, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. Like The Immortal World Tour, this production was also written and directed by Jamie King "Sneak peek" videos were released on the internet revealing numbers of the production, including "2 Bad", "Stranger In Moscow," "Bad" and "Smooth Criminal."
The show's plot is centered around four "misfits" who set out on a journey into Michael Jackson's world and music. By journey's end, they personify Jackson's agility, courage, playfulness and love. These values are represented with his white gloves, white socks and black shoes, hat and sunglasses.
Each of four main characters receive an object from Jackson. First, Clumsy is given the shoes, and with his newfound balance, performs a double slackline act to "Bad." Next, Shy overcomes her name when she receives Jackson's glasses, and she vanquishes a troupe of warriors in a martial arts display set to "2000 Watts" and "Jam." Then, Smarty Pants, the de facto leader of the four, puts on Jackson's hat and is imbued with the artist's legendary gracefulness in "Smile." Finally, Sneaky, the troublemaker, performs a playful manipulation act with the rogue glove to "This Place Hotel" and "Workin' Day And Night."
- Michael Jackson - the misfits' spirit guide
- Mephisto - the antagonist who represents the paparazzi and tabloid media
- Clumsy - the misfit who gains balance with Jackson's white socks and black loafers
- Shy - the misfit who uses Jackson's sunglasses to overcome her introversion
- Smarty Pants - the de facto leader of the misfits; uses Jackson's fedora to display gracefulness
- Sneaky - the troublemaking misfit who performs a playful manipulation act using Jackson's sparkly glove
- Various villains - opponents whom the misfits encounter and must defeat to complete their adventurous journey
- "The Vortex"
- "Beat It"
- "Leave Me Alone" / Tabloid Junkie" / "2 Bad"
- "Stranger in Moscow"
- "Smooth Criminal"
- "I'll Be There
- "Human Nature" / "Never Can Say Goodbye"
- "2000 Watts" / "Jam"
- "They Don't Care About Us"
- "Planet Earth" / "Earth Song"
- "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
- "The Way You Make Me Feel"
- "Dangerous" / "Dirty Diana"
- "This Place Hotel / Workin' Day and Night"
- "Billie Jean"
- "I Just Can't Stop Loving You"
- "Man in the Mirror"
- "Can You Feel It"
- "Black or White"
- "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough"
Michael Jackson Theatre
The Michael Jackson theatre was exclusively remodeled to meet the needs for the show, with no live orchestra as opposed to Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour.
- Webster, Andy (April 2, 2012). "Singing Pageant of Pop, With a Circus Atmosphere". The New York Times.
- Leach, Robin (May 24, 2013). "‘Michael Jackson One’ is Cirque du Soleil’s best — and includes snow at Mandalay Bay". The Las Vegas Sun.
- "Cirque tells more about new Michael Jackson Vegas show". Michael Jackson One. USA Today. Retrieved 2013-FEB-21. Check date values in: