Michael K. Young
|Michael K. Young|
|University of Washington|
|Term||July 2011 – Present|
November 4, 1949 |
|Alma mater||Harvard University
Brigham Young University
|Religion||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
Michael Kent Young (born November 4, 1949) is the President of the University of Washington. On April 25, 2011, he was announced as the President of the University of Washington, succeeding Mark Emmert.
Michael K. Young received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Brigham Young University in 1973 and a Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School in 1976, after which he clerked for Supreme Court Associate Justice William Rehnquist.
His previous academic postings include Fuyo Professor of Japanese Law and Legal Institutions and Director of the Center for Japanese Legal Studies at Columbia University and Dean and Lobingier Professor of Comparative Law and Jurisprudence at the George Washington University School of Law. He held several posts in the administration of President George H.W. Bush and served as chairman of the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom during 2003 and 2004.
He served as president of the New York Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1985-1989. He married fellow BYU alumna Suzan Stewart. She is a registered nurse. They are the parents of three children. They divorced in 2010.
He remarried on June 3, 2011 to Marti Denkers (Young). 
- Marquis Who's Who on the Web
- 'UW Regents pick Utah president as new UW leader', in The Seattle Times, April 25, 2011 
- 'U. of Utah Chief Is Pick to Be Next President of U. of Washington', in The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 25, 2011 
- article on Young's appointment as President of the University of Utah
- "Michael K. Young". University of Utah. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Past Commissioners". United States Commission on International Religious Freedom. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Michael K. Young". University of Utah. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- Tiffany, Scott, ed., City Saints: Mormons in the New York Metropolis. (New York: Nauvoo Books, 2004) p. 62
- 'Incoming UW President Michael Young gets married', in The Seattle Times, June 7, 2011