||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
Konik currently resides in Hollywood, California.
Michael Konik is the author of the following books:
- The Man with the $100,000 Breasts and other Gambling Stories (1999)
- Nice Shot, Mr. Nicklaus: Stories About the Game of Golf (2000) Huntington Press, ISBN 0-929712-03-X
- Telling Lies and Getting Paid (2002) Huntington Press, ISBN 0-929712-73-0
- In Search of Burningbush: A Story of Golf, Friendship, and the Meaning of Irons (2004) McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-144269-3
- Ella in Europe: An American Dog’s International Adventure (2005) Random House Publishing Group, ISBN 0-385-33863-5
- The Smart Money (2006) Simon & Schuster, ISBN 978-0-7432-7714-3
- Reefer Gladness (2010) Huntington Press, ISBN 1-935396-24-2
Konik was also the gambling columnist for Cigar Aficionado for five years, the golf columnist for Delta SKY for 10 years, and has been published in more than 100 other magazines, including Travel and Leisure, Maxim, and Sports Illustrated.
Michael Konik was a contestant on NBC's 2007 "Poker After Dark," a $20,000 buy-in competition in which he finished 5th. He also competed in two of the televised World Series of Blackjack programs, advancing to the semi-finals. He has also either hosted or provided commentary for the following shows:
- Poker Superstars
- Poker Dome Challenge
- Aussie Millions
- Championship at the Plaza
- American Poker Championship at Turning Stone
- Full Tilt Pro Poker Showdown
- Monte Carlo Millions
- Asia-Pacific Speed Poker Championship
- Poker Championship at Red Rock
Konik was a contestant on Jeopardy!, where he finished 2nd, the USA Network game show "Quicksilver, where he set the one-day all-time record, and was a "phone-a-friend" lifeline on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Konik was also a contestant two episodes of Greed. He competed in the December 9, 1999 episode, winning $5,000 as the Captain. On February 29, 2000, he was on another episode, but failed to win any money.
In 2006, Konik played himself in the Animal Planet comedy "Ella & Me," based on his book "Ella in Europe." His dog Ella, a lab-greyhound mix, co-starred.
- There'll Be Some Changes Made
Konik and his "Tasty Band" host the longest-running weekly jazz event in Hollywood, the "Tasty Tuesday Night Jazz Party," at Catalina Bar & Grill Jazz Club.
Konik was a member of the improvisational comedy troupe The Los Hombres and MINT (Musical Improv Network Television), which performed at Second City Los Angeles.
Blackjack and poker
Konik has participated in the following blackjack and poker events:
- Veale, Scott (10 December 2006). "Bettor Days". New York Times. Retrieved 31 May 2011.