Korie wrote the lyrics for the musical Grey Gardens, which has music by Scott Frankel and a book by Doug Wright, and ran both Off-Broadway and on Broadway. Korie was nominated for the 2007 Tony Award, Best Original Score and the 2006 Drama Desk Award, Outstanding Lyrics for his work on Grey Gardens. Korie and Frankel wrote the lyrics and score, with John Weidman writing the book, for the musical Happiness, which premiered Off-Broadway at Lincoln Center's Newhouse Theater in March 2009.
Korie's works include librettos for the operas Where's Dick? (1989, music by Stewart Wallace), Doll (music by Scott Frankel), Harvey Milk (1995, music by Stewart Wallace), and The Grapes of Wrath (music by Ricky Ian Gordon). He also co-wrote the lyrics with Amy Powers to Doctor Zhivago (music by Lucy Simon), which premiered at the La Jolla Playhouse in 2006.
- Rohan, Virginia. "The seeds of 'Grey Gardens' songs", The Record (Bergen County), June 6, 2007. Accessed June 6, 2007. "Michael Korie, the Tony-nominated "Grey Gardens" lyricist, leads a visitor to a room in the Teaneck home where he grew up... This place, the Indicks' home since 1963, and these parents had a profound influence on Korie (his middle name, which he uses professionally), a successful lyricist who has also done several operas.... By the time Korie got to Teaneck High School -- where he was rehearsal accompanist for shows like "Oklahoma" -- he was going on his own, and with friends, to see New York shows."
- Gans, Andrew.2006-2007 "Tony Nominations Announced; 'Spring Awakening' Garners 11 Noms" playbill.com, May 15, 2007
- Simonson, Robert.'The Drowsy Chaperone' Leads 2006 Drama Desk Nominations" playbill.com, April 27, 2006
- Hetrick, Adam."Subways Are for Singing: Korie & Frankel's 'Happiness' Opens Off-Broadway March 30" playbill.com, March 30, 2009
- Clum, John M."Queer music. 'Harvey Milk' (Stewart Wallace (music) and Michael Korie (libretto). New York City Opera, 1995"Performing Arts Journal 53, (excerpt), Volume 18, Number 2, May 1996
- Holland, Bernard."MUSIC REVIEW; 'Harvey Milk,' a Gay Opera As a Grand Coming-Out Party" The New York Times (abstract), April 6, 1995
- "Grapes of Wrath Bears Fruit for Opera" Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 2012
- "Korie Biography" americantheatrewing.org, accessed June 1, 2012
- Jones, Kenneth."'Finding Neverland', With Score by Michael Korie & Scott Frankel, Gets London Presentation; Julian Ovenden Stars" playbill.com, December 12, 2011
- Jones, Kenneth."Kelli O'Hara Confirmed for 'Far From Heaven'; Judith Ivey Also Announced for Playwrights Horizons Season" playbill.com, May 31, 2012
- "Korie Biography" yaledrama.net, accessed June 1, 2012