Michael Krasny (talk show host)
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
|Time slot||Monday–Friday, 9:00-11:00 Pacific Time Zone|
|Previous show(s)||KTIM (FM) - Beyond the Hot Tub - KGO (AM) - Nightfocus
KRON-TV - Take Issue
NPR - Talk of the Nation
Michael J. Krasny is an American radio broadcaster, who is currently the host and senior editor of KQED-FM radio's award-winning Forum, a news and public affairs program covering politics, culture, the arts, health, business and technology. Krasny has served as the host of Forum since 1993.
In the late 1970s, Krasny hosted a weekly Marin County talk show called "Beyond the Hot Tub" on low-power rock radio station KTIM-FM. He went on to host a popular radio program on KGO (AM) from 1984 to December 1992. He became the host of Forum in 1993, expanding the focus of the program to more national themes.
Krasny is a professor of English at San Francisco State University where he has taught primarily American literature since 1970. He received his B.A. cum laude in 1966 and M.A. in 1967 from Ohio University, where he attended the Honors College and became a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He holds a Ph.D. in 20th century American literature from the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
Krasny is a widely published scholar, critic and fiction writer. He has also worked widely as a facilitator and host in the corporate sector and as a moderator for nonprofit events.
Krasny is a long-time resident of Greenbrae, California. SFSU Online Magazine (Volume 4, Number 1, Fall/Winter 2003, reports that Krasny's wife is an attorney and an alumna of San Francisco State University, and that Krasny has two daughters. On his Forum show, Krasny has over the years made repeated references to one or the other of his daughters. Despite his intellectual reputation today, Krasny admits to having had a "bad boy" reputation while growing up in Cleveland Heights, Ohio Michael is among the outstanding graduates of Cleveland Heights High School (class of 1962) featured in the book Every Tiger Has a Tale.
Krasny has diabetes.
- Krasny, Michael (2007). Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life. Stanford General Books. ISBN 0-8047-5671-6.
- Krasny, Michael (2010). Spiritual Envy: An Agnostic's Quest. New World Library. ISBN 1-57731-912-5.
- "KQED Radio Staff: Michael Krasny". KQED. Archived from the original on 2007-10-20. Retrieved 2007-11-25.
- Liberatore, Paul (2007-10-22). "Krasny: The thinking person's talk host". Marin Independent Journal. Retrieved 2007-11-25.
- Selvin, Joel (2003-02-11). "A Voice of Calm Amid the Chatter: Ever erudite, Michael Krasny marks his 10 years as a KQED talk-show host". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2007-11-25.
- Woodward, Keith (25 September 2006). "KGO History - Some Events of the Past Decade". Retrieved 2007-11-25.
- Krasny, Michael (21 November 2007). (Audio). Interview with Cynthia Gorney. Forum . KQED-FM http://www.kqed.org/epArchive/R711211000. Retrieved 2008-01-21. Missing or empty
- Fresh Dialogues interview with Alison van Diggelen, April 2009/
- Stromberg, Gary (2009-03-11). Every Tiger has a Tale: Generations of grads from a Cleveland area high school share their amazing life stories. Bloomington, Indiana: iUniverse. pp. 89–97. ISBN 978-1-4401-2748-9.
- Ballard, Jim (2008-11-16). "Diabetes Only Affects the Other Guy". Fantasy Healthball. Retrieved 2012-03-06. "By the way, Krasny is diabetic."
- Boroditsky, Lera (2012-07-04). (Audio). Interview with Michael Krasny. Forum. KQED-FM http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201207040900. Retrieved 2012-07-04. Missing or empty
- Michael Krasny biography at KQED-FM
- Forum official webpage
- 2011 Interview with Michael Krasny
- Authors @ Google session