Michael Liebreich was born in 1963 in Northolt, West London. Raised in Acton, Liebriech attended Silverdale Prep School followed by Colet Court and St. Paul’s of London. He graduated from Christ’s College, Cambridge, in 1984, specializing in Mechanics, Fluid Dynamics, Thermodynamics and Nuclear Engineering. He graduated from Harvard Business School in 1990.
From 1985 to 1993, he was a member of the British Ski Team (Moguls) and competed in World & European Cups, World & European Championships and the 1992 Albertville Olympics. He is also co-author of "The Complete Skier" (BBC Books, 1993).
Liebreich is the Chairman of St. Marks Hospital Foundation, a medical charity which raises money for research and teaching on colorectal medicine.
Before starting New Energy Finance, Liebreich worked as a consultant at McKinsey & Company from 1990 to 1995. He also worked as a venture capitalist with Groupe Arnault, and was commercial director of Associated Press Television (now APTN), and founding director of Sports News Television (SNTV).
Liebreich created New Energy Finance in 2004 as a specialist provider of information on clean energy and resources for the finance and energy industries, manufacturers and policymakers. He reportedly started the company with "the help of interns and a Polish programmer he found on Rent A Coder". By 2011, he had built the company to a staff of nearly 200.
In 2011, Liebreich was the executive producer of a video short illustrating the world's ultimate shift away from fossil fuels, titled "First They Ignore You...".
Liebreich is a member of numerous energy-focused industry groups, including the World Economic Forum's Global Agenda Council on the New Energy Architecture and the UN Secretary General's High Level Group on Sustainable Energy for All. Liebreich is a former member of the advisory board of the Clinton Global Initiative's Energy and Climate Change working group, the selection panel for the Zayed Future Energy Prize, Accenture's Global Energy Board and the UN Secretary General's High Level Advisory Group on Energy and Climate Change. He is also a visiting professor at London's Imperial College Energy Futures Lab, a board member for Transport for London, a member of the Advisory Panel of the INSEAD Energy Club, and an organizer of the annual ecovillage event at Les Diablerets, Switzerland.
In January 2014, Liebreich stepped down as CEO of BNEF and is now Chairman of the Advisory Board. He remains Chairman of Finance for Resilience, the open-source platform he founded in October 2013 to identify and scale up the best potential climate, clean energy, green growth or sustainability finance solutions.
Liebreich sold his company to Bloomberg L.P. in 2009 in hopes of strengthening the company's position in the energy industry. Bloomberg L.P. Chairman Peter Grauer stated: “This acquisition is the next step in Bloomberg’s initiative to develop and promote the carbon and clean energy markets.” Since 2009, Liebreich has acted as the CEO of Bloomberg New Energy Finance, where he oversees the delivery of investment-grade information about the world's energy industry.
In 2014 rumours began to circulate that Liebreich was a potential Conservative candidate for Mayor of London. In June 2014, he was reported to have higher odds of winning than better known politicians including David Lammy and George Galloway according to data from bookmaker Paddy Power.
Liebreich graduated with first class honours from Cambridge University in 1984, winning the Ricardo Prize for Thermodynamics and the Christ’s College Wyatt Prize for Engineering. In 1988, he was awarded a Harkness Fellowship by the Commonwealth Fund of New York for his studies at Harvard Business School, where he graduated as a Baker Scholar. In 2005 New Energy Finance was named the Euromoney Ernst & Young Information Provider of the Year. Liebreich is a three-time finalist for the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
- Michael, Liebreich (2011) "Time to Reflect, Refocus, Reinvigorate". "The Road to Rio+20: For a Development-Led Green Economy".
- Morgan, Bazilian, Andrew Rice, Juliana Rotich, Mark Howells, Joseph DeCarolis, Stuart MacMillan, Cameron Brooks, Florian Bauer, Michael Liebreich (October 2012). "Open source software and crowdsourcing for energy analysis". Energy Policy (Volume 49): 149-153.
- Morgan, Bazilian, Ijeoma Onyeji, Michael Liebreich, Ian MacGill, Jennifer Chase, Jigar Shah, Dolf Gielen, Doug Arent, Doug Landfear, Shi Zhengrong (May 2013). "Re-considering the economics of photovoltaic power". Renewable Energy (Volume 53): 329-338.
- Morgan, Bazilian, Mackay, Miller, Reid Detchon, Michael Liebreich (July 2013) "Accelerating the Global Transformation to 21st Century Power Systems". "The Electricity Journal" (Volume 26): 39-51.
- Michael, Liebreich (September 2013) "Green conservatism: protecting the environment through open markets". "Green Alliance".
- Michael, Liebreich (March 2014) "Clean energy needs less regulation, not more". "Responsibility & Resilience, Conservative Environment Network".
- "Pollution Fighting Businesses Set Their Own Course in Treaty Vacuum". Article. New York Times. 26 Jan 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "Sustainable Investments Research Platform". Article. Sustainable Investments Research Platform. 16 Nov 2010.
- "Reff West Profile - Michael Liebreich". Renewable Energy Finance Forum. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- Clark, Pilita (4 November 2011). "Pinstripe Greens". FT Magazine. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Olympic Sports Reference". Reference. SportsReference.com. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "Complete Skier: A Practical Guide for Skiers". Amazon. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "About St. Marks Foundation". St. Marks Foundation. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Europatweb Builds UK Presence With Appointment Of Michael Liebreich As Managing Director". Article. McKinsey&Company. 19 July 2000. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "First They Ignore You". Video. Youtube. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "The Secretary-General's High-Level Group on Sustainable Energy". The United Nations. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Michael Liebreich". World of Business Ideas. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "International Year of Sustainable Energy For All Gets Boost from Advocates and Energy Service Providers". Digital Journal. 7 April 2011. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- "Energy Network". INSEAD. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Board members". Transport for London. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- "Organizers". Eco-Villages. 22 Oct 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- Callahan, Sean (12 October 2009). "Bloobmerg Acquires New Energy Finance". Media Business. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- "Bookies back the mystery man to be our next mayor » The Evening Standard". standard.co.uk. 2014-06-17. Retrieved 2014-06-24.
- "Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year". article. Ernst and Young. Retrieved 2011-04-29.
- "Bloomberg Profile - Michael Liebreich". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2010-11-24.