||It has been suggested that this article be merged into The Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute. (Discuss) Proposed since January 2014.|
Michael Maduell is president of the Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute.
Michael Maduell was born in San Leandro, CA. Maduell went to high school at Rocky Mountain High School in Fort Collins, CO. Maduell is a graduate of California State University, Sacramento and of Saint Mary's College of California.
He has worked at the California Public Employees' Retirement System and Reuters. He founded the Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute, with Carl Linaburg. Maduell is a leading researcher, commentator and advisor in the sovereign wealth fund, public pension space. 
Economic and financial commentary
Michael Maduell commented on Temasek Holdings advancement of acquiring energy companies. He stated in CFO Insight, "This is a long-term investment in a major energy company that is currently discounted due to the YPF nationalisation [Repsol’s subsidiary in Argentina, eds.]."
During the Libyan revolution, CNN Money interviewed Michael Maduell on Gaddafi's influence on sub-Saharan Africa and Libya's sovereign wealth fund. Maduell argued Gaddafi remained in power for so long because "Gadhafi is providing support where there is none."
In 2013, policymakers and thinktanks were discussing ways to improve the U.S. economy, leading to the idea of creating a federal sovereign wealth fund. Maduell told CNBC in an article that creating a Norwegian-like wealth fund would trigger "a heated debate between the federal government vs. state governments over resources," Maduell added. "The politics would be paralyzing, which is why it hasn't been done yet."
- Mufson, Steven (10 February 2010). "China's investment fund sticks with cautious strategy". Washington Post. Retrieved 10 February 2010.
- Wille, Klaus. "Korea State Fund to Spend Up to $10 Billion on Alternatives (1)". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- Kim, Susanna. "Why Norwegians Are Millionaires and Americans Are Paupers". ABC News. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Haeberle, Armin. "Evonik, Repsol: Temasek Expands in Europe". CFO Insight. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Sweet, Ken (2 March 2011). "Libya: Spending oil money across the globe". CNN Money. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- David, Javier. "For US Oil Boom, Some See Lessons in Norwegian Model". CNBC. Retrieved 12 February 2014.