|Full name||Michael McGovern|
|Date of birth||12 July 1984|
|Place of birth||Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|?–2001||Enniskillen Town United|
|2005||→ Stranraer (loan)||19||(0)|
|2006||→ St. Johnstone (loan)||1||(0)|
|2005–2006||Northern Ireland U21||10||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Michael McGovern (born 12 July 1984) is a Northern Ireland footballer currently playing for Scottish Premiership club Hamilton as a goalkeeper. He has previously spent time at Ross County and Falkirk.
Born in Enniskillen, McGovern started his career with Scottish Premier League club Celtic in 2001 but left in 2008 without making a first team appearance. He joined Second Division side Stranraer on loan in January 2005, then in 2006 went to First Division side St. Johnstone on an emergency loan. After leaving Celtic he joined fellow SPL side Dundee United but left after one season having not made a first team appearance. In 2009 he went back to the First Division with Ross County, where he enjoyed a successful two-year spell. In 2011 he moved again on a free transfer to fellow First Division side Falkirk.
He was an unused substitute in both the 2004 Scottish Cup Final and 2007 Scottish Cup Final, which earned him two winners medals with Celtic. He helped Ross County to the 2010 Scottish Cup Final which they lost against his former team Dundee United.
He is a Northern Ireland international, having been capped once.
McGovern joined Celtic in July 2001 from home town junior club Enniskillen Town United. His first involvement with the first team squad was as a substitute at the Camp Nou during Celtic's Champions League match against Barcelona. Later that season, McGovern moved on loan to Stranraer, where he made nineteen appearances and the following season, joined St. Johnstone on a one-month emergency loan, playing once. At Celtic he managed to pick up a Scottish Cup medal in 2004 and 2007.
On 17 June 2008, McGovern agreed a pre-contract move to Dundee United, signing a one-year deal.McGovern failed to make a first-team appearance for United. Manager Craig Levein confirmed McGovern's departure in May 2009, with the goalkeeper moving to Ross County in late June.
McGovern enjoyed a successful first season with Ross County, making 50 appearances. These included the 2010 Scottish Cup Final and his full international debut. McGovern left Ross County at the end of the 2010–11 Scottish First Division season.
McGovern signed for Falkirk on 20 July 2011. He quickly established himself as first choice goalkeeper and on 21 September 2011 played in Falkirk's 3–2 Scottish League Cup win over holders Rangers. On 1 April 2012, he played for Falkirk in their 1–0 win over Hamilton in the 2012 Scottish Challenge Cup Final. At the end of the season he won the Falkirk players' Player of the Year award and Falkirk Supporters Club Player of the Year award. He was among four players nominated for the PFA Scotland 1st Division Player of the year award and he was named in the PFA Scotland 1st Division Team of the Year. McGovern was named Falkirk Players' Player of the Year for the second year in succession at the end of 2012/13 season.
McGovern signed a new one year deal at Falkirk on 24 June 2013, and upon the departure of Darren Dods, was appointed club captain. On 5th April 2014, he made his 100th league appearance for Falkirk, playing and keeping a clean sheet in a 5-0 win against Cowdenbeath.
On the 18th April 2014 McGovern was named in the PFA Scotland Championship team of the season 2013/14
McGovern made his full debut for Northern Ireland, on 31 May 2010, in a 1–0 loss to Chile. He came on at half-time for Alan Blayney, and made a "stunning" save from a long-range effort by Marco Estrada.
- As of 23 September 2011.
|St Johnstone (loan)||2006–07||1||0||-||-||-||1||0|
- "McGovern on Celtic bench". BBC Sport. 24 March 2004. Retrieved 17 June 2008.
- "McGovern joins Stranraer on loan". BBC Sport. 1 January 2005. Retrieved 17 June 2008.
- "Celtic's McGovern moves to Saints". BBC Sport. 1 December 2006. Retrieved 17 June 2008.
- "Dundee United make double swoop". BBC Sport. 17 June 2008. Retrieved 17 June 2008.
- "Dixon delight at award from fellow Arabs". The Courier. 6 May 2009. Retrieved 6 May 2009.
- "Keeper McGovern heads to County". BBC Sport. 25 June 2009. Retrieved 26 June 2009.
- Friel, David (3 June 2010). "Michael capped off epic season". The Scottish Sun. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "McGovern signs for Falkirk". BBC Sport. 20 July 2011. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- "Falkirk 3–2 Rangers". BBC Sport. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Falkirk 1–0 Hamilton Accies". BBC Sport. 1 April 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Johnson returns for Bulgaria game". BBC Sport. 25 January 2008. Retrieved 17 June 2008.
- "Chile 1–0 Northern Ireland: Paredes Header Decides Tame World Cup 2010 Warm-Up". Goal. 31 May 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2011.