McKenry in 2011
March 4, 1985 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 8, 2010 for the Colorado Rockies|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||64|
High School and College
Professional Baseball Career
McKenry was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 7th round of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft. In 2006, he played for the Tri-City Dust Devils. In 2007, he played for the Asheville Tourists. In 2008, he played for the Modesto Nuts. In January 2009, Baseball America rated McKenry the #9 prospect in the Colorado Rockies organization. In 2009, he played for the Tulsa Drillers. In 2010, he played for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, before being called up to the Rockies in September. McKenry made his major league debut on September 8, 2010, flying out against Cincinnati Reds pitcher Carlos Fisher in his only at bat. On March 29, 2011, McKenry was traded to the Boston Red Sox for minor league RHP Daniel Turpen.
Boston Red Sox
On June 13, 2011, he was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates for cash or a player to be named later. McKenry made his debut for the Pirates on June 13 and recorded his first major league hit, a single off of Houston Astros starter J. A. Happ, two days later. He hit his first major league home run on July 8, 2011 against the Chicago Cubs.
On July 26, McKenry was involved in a controversial play against the Atlanta Braves in the bottom of the 19th inning. With runners on the corners, Scott Proctor hit a ground ball to Pedro Alvarez, who threw to McKenry, who appeared to tag Julio Lugo out at home. However, home plate umpire Jerry Meals called him safe, allowing Lugo to score the walk-off run.
McKenry has been given the nickname "Fort McKenry" or simply "The Fort" by fans and media in Pittsburgh due to his defensive skills behind the plate as the Pirates' catcher and the similarity of his name to Fort McHenry, the famous fort in Baltimore known for its role in the War of 1812.
On April 14, 2013 McKenry posted his first multi-homer game game in the major leagues as he hit 2 home runs, rallying the Pirates to a 10-7 win over the Cincinnati Reds. On July 30, 2013, McKenry underwent knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus and was ruled out for the rest of the 2013 season.
On December 2, 2013, the Pirates acquired Chris Stewart from the New York Yankees, and designated McKenry for assignment. He was non-tendered by the Pirates later that day, becoming a free agent.
- Czerwinski, Kevin (November 5, 2008). "McKenry finding a better balance".
- "McKenry named to USA Baseball Professional Team". September 4, 2009.
- "Colorado Rockies Top 10 prospects". January 26, 2009.
- Brink, Bill (2011-06-13). "Pirates acquire catcher from Red Sox in trade". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
- Biertempfel, Rob (April 14, 2013). "Pirates storm back to beat Reds, complete sweep". Retrieved April 15, 2013.
- Bucs acquire catcher and designate McHenry for assignment
- Twitter / Pirates: The #Pirates have non-tendered Michael McKenry, Garrett Jones & Kyle McPherson. The team has agreed on a 1yr contract with C Chris Stewart.