|Michael Aaron Nielsen|
Michael Nielsen talking at Science Online London 2011
|Born||citation needed]January 4, 1974 [|
|Institutions||Los Alamos National Laboratory
University of Queensland
|Alma mater||University of New Mexico|
|Doctoral advisor||Carlton M. Caves|
|Notable awards||Richard C. Tolman Prize Fellow at Caltech, Fulbright Scholar|
In 2004 he was characterized as Australia's "youngest academic" and secured a Federation Fellowship at the University of Queensland; the fellowship of $235,000 per annum was for five years. He worked at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, as the Richard Chace Tolman Prize Fellow at Caltech, and a Senior Faculty Member at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics. Nielsen obtained his PhD in physics in 1998 at the University of New Mexico. With Isaac Chuang he is the co-author of a popular textbook on quantum computing.
In 2007, Nielsen announced a marked shift in his field of research: from quantum information and computation to “the development of new tools for scientific collaboration and publication”. This work includes "massively collaborative mathematics" projects like the Polymath project with Timothy Gowers. Besides writing books and essays, he also gives talks about Open Science.
His book Reinventing Discovery: The New Era of Networked Science, published by Princeton University Press, was released in October 2011. This book is based on themes that are also covered in his essay on the Future of Science.
- http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=116803 Nielsen's math genealogy
- http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/michael-a-nielsen/ About Michael Nielsen
- http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/ Michael Nielsen's Blog
- Maiden, Samantha (17 June 2004). "'Footbal star' salaries to boost academic research". The Australian (Canberra, ACT). p. 4. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Nielsen, Michael A.; Chuang, Isaac L. (2000). Quantum Computation and Quantum Information. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-63235-5. OCLC 43641333.
- Nielsen, M. A. (2004). "The bits that make up the Universe". Nature 427 (6969): 16–17. doi:10.1038/427016b.
- "Michael Nielsen » Changing fields". Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- Gowers, T.; Nielsen, M. (2009). "Massively collaborative mathematics". Nature 461 (7266): 879–881. Bibcode:2009Natur.461..879G. doi:10.1038/461879a. PMID 19829354.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnWocYKqvhw TEDxWaterloo - Michael Nielsen - Open Science
- "Working Group on Open Data in Science". Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- Nielsen, Michael A. (2011). Reinventing Discovery: The New Era of Networked Science. Princeton, N.J: Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-691-14890-2.
- "Michael Nielsen » The Future of Science". Retrieved 2009-01-19.
|This biography of an Australian academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|