Michael O'Doherty (publisher)
|Known for||His publishing business|
|Parents||Father (d. France, 2008)
two brothers, one sister
O'Doherty's publishing business includes magazines such as VIP, TV Now, Kiss, Stellar and The Dubliner Magazine. The flagship publication in this stable remains VIP, until recently edited by Elaine Prendeville, who was replaced by another employee, Martha Connolly, in March 2014.
O'Doherty's first solo publishing venture was Level3, a magazine aimed at university students in Ireland. The first issue of Kiss launched in Ireland on 31 October 2002, aimed at a teenage market. His previous magazine launches - Magill in 1997, VIP in 1999 and TV Now in 2000 - were alongside his business partner, John Ryan, whom O'Doherty bought out in 2002 with loans from members of his family i
New York Dog collapse
The idea for the magazine came from a joint business venture by Irish magazine publishers O'Doherty and Ryan. Ryan's publishing company inititally owned the publishing venture Stars on Sunday which folded with losses, whilst O'Doherty still maintained VIP. New York Dog magazine was promoted on The Late Late Show, and was set up alongside a New York City-based website, blogorrah.com, which was described by the Irish Independent as "a sort of Phoenix without portfolio". The site was edited by Derek O'Connor but stopped filing new posts in July 2007. Its closure, and that of New York Dog, was extensively covered by the Irish media, many of whose members had been satirised on Blogorrah. Surprisingly, given his initially much-heralded involvement with 'New York Dog, this coverage failed to mention O'Doherty's joint ownership of this publication, or his role in its demise.
The Dubliner failure
O'Doherty also failed to make a success of The Dubliner magazine, purchased by him in 2008, which ceased publication as an independent magazine in January 2012, eleven years to the day after the first edition hit the newsstands.
- http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/ive-been-called-a-ponce-a-cretin-and-a-tosser--anonymous-bloggers-are-the-ultimate-cowards-1924607.html I've been called a ponce, a cretin and a tosser ... anonymous bloggers are the ultimate cowards - Evening Herald
- "Tomorrow never dies, but VIPs live for today". Sunday Tribune. 16 April 2006. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Have a nice fight". Evening Herald. 6 August 2009. Retrieved 12 August 2009.
- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/0815/1224252579275.html Filling an Empty Space, the Irish Times
- http://www.victoriamaryclarke.com/articles/O%20Doherty%20Michael%20.html Interview with Michael O'Doherty - Victoria Mary Clarke
- "Ireland's 'Kiss' takes on 'Bliss'". Sunday Tribune==. 27 October 2002. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Andrea gives Ryan some dog's abuse". Irish Independent. 29 October 2006. Retrieved 12 January 2009.