Michael O'Doherty (publisher)
|Known for||his vast publishing empire|
|Parents||Father (d. France, 2008)
two brothers, one sister
Michael O'Doherty is a television talent judge, newspaper writer and the publisher of the VIP magazine group in Ireland. He is originally from Killiney in County Dublin, and was educated at Sandford Park School  in Dublin and studied English and French at Trinity College, Dublin to undergraduate level. O'Doherty's multi-million-euro publishing empire includes magazines such as VIP, TV Now, Kiss, Stellar and The Dubliner Magazine. O'Doherty also known for his joint business venture with John Ryan, the unsuccessful New York Dog, a magazine for dog lovers.
O'Doherty has also written for the Evening Herald newspaper. He served as a judge on TV3's reality television show Total Xposure, adopting a somewhat unconvincing Simon Cowell persona on the jury.
O'Doherty's first solo publishing venture was Level3, a magazine aimed at university students in Ireland. The first issue of Kiss launched in Ireland on 31 October 2002, aimed at a teenage market. His previous magazine launches - Magill in 1997, VIP in 1999 and TV Now in 2000 - were alongside his business partner, John Ryan.
New York Dog collapse
The idea for the magazine came from a joint business venture by Irish magazine publishers O'Doherty and Ryan. Ryan's publishing company inititally owned the publishing venture Stars on Sunday which folded with losses, whilst O'Doherty still maintained VIP. New York Dog magazine was promoted on The Late Late Show, and was set up alongside a New York City-based website, blogorrah.com, which was described by the Irish Independent as "a sort of Phoenix without portfolio". The site was edited by Derek O'Connor but mysteriously stopped filing new posts in July 2007.
- http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/ive-been-called-a-ponce-a-cretin-and-a-tosser--anonymous-bloggers-are-the-ultimate-cowards-1924607.html I've been called a ponce, a cretin and a tosser ... anonymous bloggers are the ultimate cowards - Evening Herald
- "Tomorrow never dies, but VIPs live for today". Sunday Tribune. 16 April 2006. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Have a nice fight". Evening Herald. 6 August 2009. Retrieved 12 August 2009.
- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/0815/1224252579275.html Filling an Empty Space, the Irish Times
- http://www.victoriamaryclarke.com/articles/O%20Doherty%20Michael%20.html Interview with Michael O'Doherty - Victoria Mary Clarke
- "Ireland's 'Kiss' takes on 'Bliss'". Sunday Tribune==. 27 October 2002. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Andrea gives Ryan some dog's abuse". Irish Independent. 29 October 2006. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "O'Doherty to launch new Irish fashion magazine". Sunday Tribune. 17 August 2008. Retrieved 12 January 2009.