|Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives
from the 64B district
January 7, 1997
|Preceded by||Howard Orenstein|
December 27, 1953 |
|Political party||Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party|
|Domestic partner||Laura Goodman|
|Residence||Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Alma mater||The College of St. Scholastica (B.A.)
Hamline University (M.A.)
|Occupation||resource specialist, legislator|
Michael Paymar (born December 27, 1953) is a Minnesota politician and member of the Minnesota House of Representatives. A member of the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party (DFL), he represents District 64B, which includes portions of the city of Saint Paul in Ramsey County, which is part of the Twin Cities metropolitan area. He is also a resource specialist for the Battered Women's Justice Project.
Early life, education, and career
Paymar graduated from East High School in Duluth, then went on to the College of St. Scholastica, also in Duluth, graduating with a B.A. in education and history. He later attended Hamline University in Saint Paul, earning his M.P.A. He served on the Duluth City Council from 1980–1988, and was council president in 1984. Later, after moving to Saint Paul, he served on the Saint Paul Charter Commission prior to being elected to the Legislature.
Minnesota House of Representatives
Paymar was first elected in 1996 and has been re-elected every two years since then. He announced on November 20, 2013 that will he not be seeking re-election in 2014.
- "Minnesota Legislators Past & Present - Legislator Record - Paymar, Michael". Leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Project Vote Smart - Representative Michael 'Mike' Paymar - Biography". Votesmart.org. 1953-12-27. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- Grow, Doug (November 20, 2013). "Rep. Michael Paymar, top gun-control advocate, won’t run again but will continue the fight". MinnPost. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Michael Paymar at Minnesota Legislators Past & Present
- Michael Paymar official Minnesota House of Representatives website
- Michael Paymar official campaign website
- Minnesota Public Radio Votetracker: Rep. Mike Paymar
- Project Votesmart - Rep. Mike Paymar Profile