Michael R. Collings
Michael Robert Collings (born October 29, 1947) is an author, poet, literary critic, and bibliographer, and a former professor of creative writing and literature at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California. He was Poet in Residence at Pepperdine's Seaver College from 1997-2000. After graduating with a Master's degree in English from the University of California, Riverside in 1973, Collings received his Ph.D. in English literature from UCR in 1977, specializing in Milton and The Renaissance.
Collings has had multiple collections of his poetry published on subjects such as Mormon theology, Joseph Smith, Christmas, science fiction, and horror. He is known for his literary critiques and bibliographies of the works of Orson Scott Card and Stephen King, though he has also published critiques and bibliographies of the works of Peter Straub, Dean Koontz, C. S. Lewis, Brian W. Aldiss, and Piers Anthony. His In the Image of God: Theme, Characterization and Landscape in the Fiction of Orson Scott Card was the first book-length academic look at Card's works.
Articles and papers
- "C. S. Lewis and the Music of Creation" (July–August 1979), Lamp-Post of the Southern California C.S. Lewis Society
- "The Mechanisms of Fantasy" (January 1980), Lamp-Post of the Southern California C.S. Lewis Society
- "To Be Still a Man: Abstraction and Concretion in C. S. Lewis" (January 1982), Lamp-Post of the Southern California C.S. Lewis Society
- "Beyond Deep Heaven: Generic Structure and Christian Message in C. S. Lewis’s Ransom Novels", (December 1986), Lamp-Post of the Southern California C.S. Lewis Society
- "Brothers of the Head: Brian W. Aldiss’s Psychological Landscape" (1988), Spectrum of the Fantastic: Selected Papers from the Fifth International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts, Greenwood Press
- "Brian W. Aldiss" (1989), Reader’s Guide to Twentieth Century Science Fiction Writers, American Library Association
- The Many Facets of Stephen King (1985), Starmont House, ISBN 0-930261-14-3
- The Shorter Works of Stephen King (1985), with David A. Engebretson, Starmont House, ISBN 0-930261-02-X
- Stephen King as Richard Bachman (1985), Starmont House, ISBN 0-930261-00-3
- The Annotated Guide to Stephen King: A Primary and Secondary Bibliography of the Works of America’s Premier Horror Writer (1986), Starmont House, ISBN 0-930261-80-1
- The Films of Stephen King (1986), Starmont House, ISBN 0-930261-10-0
- Card Catalogue: The Science Fiction and Fantasy of Orson Scott Card (1987), Hypatia Press, ISBN 0-940841-01-0
- The Stephen King Phenomenon (1987), Starmont House, ISBN 0-930261-12-7
- In the Image of God: Theme, Characterization and Landscape in the Fiction of Orson Scott Card (1990), Greenwood Press, ISBN 0-313-26404-X
- Scaring Us to Death: The Impact of Stephen King on Popular Culture (1997), Borgo Press, ISBN 0-930261-37-2
- The Work of Orson Scott Card: An Annotated Bibliography and Guide (1997), with Boden Clarke
- Hauntings: The Official Peter Straub Bibliography (2000), Overlook Connection Press, ISBN 1-892950-15-4
- Storyteller: The Official Guide to the Works of Orson Scott Card (2001), Overlook Connection Press, ISBN 1-892950-26-X
- Horror Plum'd: An International Stephen King Bibliography and Guide 1960-2000 (2003), Overlook Connection Press, ISBN 1-892950-45-6
- Stephen King Is Richard Bachman, (March 2008), Overlook Connection Press, ISBN 1-892950-74-X
- U.S. Public Records Index Vol 1 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- Wands, D C (2008-02-16). "Michael R Collings". FantasticFiction. Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- George W. Beahm (1998) Stephen King from A to Z: an encyclopedia of his life and work, Andrews McMeel Publishing, p.43, ISBN 0-8362-6914-4
- "Michael R. Collings". Brigham Young University. 2003. Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- "Michael R. Collings Bio Information". Pepperdine University. Retrieved 2008-02-29.[dead link]
- Langford, Jonathan (1997-10-21). "AML-List Review: In the Image of God: Theme, Characterization, and Landscape in the Fiction of Orson Scott Card". Association for Mormon Letters. Archived from the original on 2007-10-26. Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- "The House Beyond the Hill by Michael R Collings". FantasticFiction. Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- StarShine and Shadows (official site)