|Born||Michael Patrick Ramirez
May 11, 1961
Life and career
Ramirez was born in Tokyo, Japan. He graduated from the University of California, Irvine, in 1984 with a bachelors degree. He has worked for The Commercial Appeal of Memphis for seven years and then for the Los Angeles Times. In 1994, he was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning. He again won the Pulitzer for editorial cartooning in 2008. He is a three-time winner of the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi Award for excellence in journalism in 1995, 1997 and 2007. He has also been awarded the 1996 Mencken Award for Best Editorial Cartoon. He is a regular contributor to USA Today and The Weekly Standard, and his work has a subscription/distribution of over five hundred and fifty newspapers and magazines through Creators Syndicate. He is also the co-editor of the Investor's Business Daily editorial page.
Ramirez initially planned to study medicine in college and considered journalism a hobby. He became seriously interested in that field when his first cartoon for the college newspaper, lampooning candidates for student office, had the student assembly demanding an apology.
Ramirez was a regular guest on The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. He has been on CNN, CNN International, Fox News Sunday, BBC Television, BBC Radio, NPR, the Michael Reagan Show. His cartoons have been featured on CNN, Fox News, The O'Reilly Factor, and The Rush Limbaugh Show. His work has been published in such publications as The New York Times, The Washington Post, The New York Post, Time Magazine, National Review and US News and World Report.
He is the author of a new book, Everyone Has the Right to My Opinion.
In October 2000, the Los Angeles Times published a Ramirez cartoon that appeared to depict a Jewish man worshiping the word "Hate" embedded into the Western Wall. According to the Times Associate Editor Narda Zacchino ombudsman, this provoked an "unprecedented" negative reaction. Ramirez denied singling out Jews, claiming that the wall in the cartoon was not meant to suggest the Western Wall, and that while there was a Jew worshiping at the hate wall, there was also a figure bowing before it wearing a kaffiyeh (though it is difficult to see).
In July 2003, the Los Angeles Times published a Sunday editorial cartoon by Ramirez that depicted a man pointing a gun at President Bush’s head; it was a takeoff on the 1969 Pulitzer Prize-winning photo by Eddie Adams that showed Vietnamese general Nguyễn Ngọc Loan executing a Viet Cong prisoner at point-blank range. The cartoon prompted a visit from the Secret Service, but no charges were filed.
In September 2007, the Columbus Dispatch published a Ramirez cartoon depicting Iran as a sewer (labeled with the word "extremism"), with cockroaches spreading from it over Iraq, Afghanistan, and other countries of the Middle East. Some commentators compared this with characterisations both of Jews in pre-Holocaust Germany and Rwandan Tutsis before the 1994 genocide.
In October 2013, the Investor's Business Daily published a Ramirez cartoon that drew a parallel between the problems of the Affordable Care Act web site debut and the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster, which many critics objected to.
On November 12, 2005, the Los Angeles Times announced that his cartoon would be discontinued at the end of the year.
- 1994: Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning
- 1995: Sigma Delta Chi Award for Editorial Cartooning
- 1996: H.L. Mencken Award for Editorial Cartooning
- 1997: UCI Medal, University of California, Irvine
- 1997: Sigma Delta Chi Award for Editorial Cartooning
- 2004: Lincoln Fellow, Claremont Institute
- 2005: Scripps Howard Foundation, National Journalism Award for Editorial Cartooning
- 2006: National Cartoonist Society Division Award for Editorial Cartooning
- 2007: Sigma Delta Chi Award for Editorial Cartooning
- 2008: National Cartoonist Society Division Award for Editorial Cartooning
- 2008: Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning
- 2008: Fischetti Award for Editorial Cartooning
- 2011: National Cartoonist Society Division Award for Editorial Cartooning
- 2014: National Cartoonist Society Reuben Award for Editorial Cartooning
- Honorary Member of Pi Sigma Alpha, National Political Honor Society
- Political Cartoons & Opinion - Michael Ramirez - Editorial News - IBD - Investors.com
- Message About LA Times Cartoon Outdated
- "Threatening the president is no joke, even when it is one". New York Press. November 11, 2003.
- "Officials See Threat in Bush Newspaper Cartoon". Reuters. Jul 21, 2003.
- "US cartoon no joke to Iranians". Asia Times Online. 2007-09-20. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- http://www.investors.com/editorial-cartoons/michael-ramirez/664496-media-and-justice. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- Michael Ramirez. "The Obamacare Launch". Investors Business Daily.
- Keith Cowing (24 October 2013). "Michael Ramirez Cartoon Mocks Challenger Accident". New York Post.
- Kennedy, J. Michael and Lin II, Rong-Gong, "Times Plans New Op-Ed Lineup," Los Angeles Times, 11 November 2005 (accessed 12 February 2013)
- Michael Ramirez at Investor's Business Daily