|Michael F Roizen|
|Born||January 7, 1946|
|Education||BA, Williams College, 1967
MD, University of California, San Francisco
Dr. Michael Fredric Roizen (born January 7, 1946) is an American anesthesiologist and internist, an award-winning author and the chief wellness officer at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Roizen became famous for developing the RealAge concept and has authored or coauthored five number one New York Times best sellers, including Real Age and four in the YOU series—those with Dr. Mehmet Oz.
Dr. Roizen completed a tour of duty in the Public Health Service and has 165 peer reviewed publications and 100 medical chapters, 14 US patents, started six companies, served on Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory committees for 16 years, and chaired an FDA advisory committee. He also co-invented a drug, Methylnaltrexone (MTNX, trade name Relistor), and took it through phase 2 trials. In May 2008 Methylnaltrexone received FDA approval for marketing in the United States (he has sold his rights to that drug).
He has been praised for encouraging Americans to exercise and live healthier lives - and has been an outspoken critic of politicians who use health funds for other purposes - particularly for taking tobacco settlement money and using it for unintended purposes. Besides advocating for a healthier lifestyle today, Roizen has speculated that by 2023 one of the 14 areas of aging might have a breakthrough that will allow us to live until 160 with the same quality of life as at age 45. This speculation has been met with both criticism as well as agreement.
Roizen has also been criticized for what has been called his wild exaggerations about the potential payoffs of exercise and healthy eating.
He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Williams College in 1967 with a double major in Chemistry and Economics. Subsequently, he attended the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine. His residency was at Harvard's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. After 9 years on the faculty at the University of California, San Francisco, he was the chair of the Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care and Pain Management at the University of Chicago for 16 years. He then became dean of the School of Medicine and vice president for Biomedical Sciences at SUNY Upstate.
He co-founded RealAge, a service providing personal health tools to consumers, and is chairman of the RealAge Scientific Advisory Board. He became the Cleveland Clinic’s chief wellness officer and chairman of the Clinic’s Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine, and Comprehensive Pain Management in 2004 and was named chief wellness officer and chair of the Wellness Institute in 2007.
Dr. Roizen still practices anesthesiology and internal medicine, using the RealAge metric to motivate his patients. He has personally delivered medical care to 8 Nobel Prize winners, more than 709 ex-smokers, and over 100 Fortune 500 CEOs and CFOs. He chaired the United Way Fund Raising effort at the Cleveland Clinic in 2006 (it achieved record results, including over a 15% increase in donations to become one of the top 3 healthcare organizations in United Way Donations), and has served on the boards of five non-profit foundations. Roizen serves on the Advisory Board of HealthCorps. He served as President of the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists in 1997-8, and has won over 75 trophies in class A squash competition. He has been in the Best Doctors in America and then America’s Top Doctors (the successor book) since 1989.
Roizen and his wife, Nancy, a developmental pediatrician, live in Cleveland, Ohio. The Roizens have two children: Jenny, a Williams graduate with a PhD in Chemistry from the California Institute of Technology, is a former postdoc at Stanford and is currently an assistant professor in Chemistry at Duke University, and Jeffrey, MD/PhD, received his double doctorates from Washington University in 2008, and completed a residency in Pediatrics and fellowship in Endocrinology and Diabetes at Philadelphia’s Children’s Hospital, where he is now an instructor.
Author, speaker, celebrity
Roizen is the author of the award-winning series of “RealAge” books, including: “RealAge: Are You as Young as You Can Be?” “The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life;” “The RealAge(R) Workout: Maximum Health, Minimum Work;” and has coauthored, with Dr. John La Puma "The RealAge(R) Diet: Make Yourself Younger with What You Eat" and “Cooking the RealAge Way: Turn Back Your Biological Clock with More than 80 Delicious and Easy Recipes”
He has also coauthored, with Dr. Mehmet Oz, YOU: The Owner’s Manual: An Insider’s Guide to the Body That Will Make You Healthier and Younger, which was listed on The New York Times Bestseller List. He has also authored four New York Times number one bestsellers with Dr. Oz, "YOU: The owners manual" "YOU on a diet" and "YOU staying young", as well as the number two bestseller "YOU:The Smart Patient" also coauthored with the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations.
Dr. Roizen has given over 1,200 lectures to professional medical groups and has been recognized with over 20 professional lectureships. He has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show 18 times, the Today Show 17 times, 20/20 3 times, CBN, CNN, CBS, Good Morning America 26 times, The Montel Williams Show, and PBS (three fundraising specials that have been substantially successful at raising money for PBS). He also chaired the Cleveland Clinic United Way fundraising drive in 2006 in which the Cleveland Clinic was in the top three donors in health care organizations to the United Way. He was featured in magazines including Fortune, Glamour, Cosmopolitan, Good Housekeeping, Ladies’ Home Journal, Reader’s Digest, Men’s Health, and Prevention magazines. and biography. He and Dr. Oz coauthor a daily newspaper column syndicated through over 65 newspapers in the United States and Canada.
The idea for RealAge started in 1985 when Roizen convinced a 47-year-old entrepreneur to take his blood-pressure medication by explaining he was living with the body of a 52-year-old by not doing so. The entrepreneur paid for Roizen to assemble a five-person research team and come up with similar numbers for other controllable factors that affect length and/or quality of life.
The first RealAge test debuted online in 1998.
Michael Roizen became the Cleveland Clinic’s chief wellness officer in mid-2007. The position was new for the clinic and was notable, as it made Roizen one of the top 12 executives within the health system. He is also a professor of medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine.
Among his initiatives are starting a farmer's market near the clinic’s main campus, mentoring children in the public schools, and starting smoking cessation and weight-loss programs. He has also encouraged an expansive walking-focused health program that includes a walking program co-sponsored by Google.
He’s also used his position at the Cleveland Clinic as a bully pulpit from which to advocate for what he sees as more effective uses of tobacco settlement funds. He criticized the Ohio government – and specifically denounced Gov. Ted Strickland as "stupid"  when the state decided to take control of $230 million that had been designated for anti-tobacco programs.
Books and publications
- RealAge: Are You as Young as You Can Be? by Michael F. Roizen, 2001, ISBN 0-06-093075-6.
- Cooking the RealAge Way: Turn Back Your Biological Clock with More than 80 Delicious and Easy Recipes, by Michael F. Roizen, John La Puma, 2003, ISBN 0-06-000935-7.
- The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life, by Michael F. Roizen, 2004, ISBN 0-06-019682-3.
- The RealAge Workout: Maximum Health, Minimum Work, by Michael F. Roizen, Tracy Hafen, 2006, ISBN 0-06-000937-3.
- YOU: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty, by Michael F. Roizen, Mehmet Oz, 2007, ISBN 0-7432-9256-1.
- YOU: On A Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management, by Michael F. Roizen, Mehmet Oz, 2006, ISBN 0-7432-9254-5.
- YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment, by Michael F. Roizen, Mehmet Oz, 2006, ISBN 0-7432-9301-0.
- YOU: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger, by Michael F. Roizen, Mehmet Oz, 2005, ISBN 0-06-076531-3.
- Essence of Anesthesia Practice, by Michael F. Roizen, Lee A. Fleisher, 1997, ISBN 978-0-7216-5972-5.
- Essence of Anesthesia Practice, by Michael F. Roizen, Lee A. Fleisher, 2002, ISBN 978-0-7216-9267-8.
- Essence of Anesthesia Practice, by Michael F. Roizen, Lee A. Fleisher, 2011, ISBN 978-1-4377-1720-4.
- Is Roizen's vision of longevity bad for the Cleveland Clinic? May 13, 2008, Chris Seper, The Plain Dealer (includes audio)
- About Michael F. Roizen MD, RealAge.com
- Best Doctors - The Celebrity March 2008, Lynne Thompson, Cleveland Magazine
- Health guru Michael Roizen's next mission: Cleveland Dec. 31, 2007, Sarah Jane Tribble, The Plain Dealer (includes audio)
- Taking regular walks is a smart way to stay healthy May 20, 2008, Brie Zeltner, The Plain Dealer (includes audio)
- Google, Cleveland Clinic launch 'good' walking plan May 19, 2008, Chris Seper, The Plain Dealer
- Cleveland Clinic's Michael Roizen criticizes Strickland over tobacco money April 16, 2008, Patrick O’Donnell, The Plain Dealer (includes audio and video)
- About Real Age – Dr. Roizen
- Michael Roizen (Cleveland Clinic)
- Health and fitness news and medical news about Michael Roizen (The Plain Dealer)
- Dr. Roizen at Sharecare