|Born||October 28, 1973|
|Alma mater||Queen’s University & University of Toronto|
|Occupation||Founder and CEO, The Everlong Project|
|Home town||Hamilton, Ontario|
Board member of
|Round 13 Capital, Ontario Science Centre, Young Presidents’ Organization, OMERS Ventures, Xtreme Startups|
Michael Serbinis is an entrepreneur, philanthropist and angel investor based in Toronto, Canada. Serbinis is the founder and CEO of LEAGUE INC., a digital health and wellness start-up. The company is currently in beta and will launch in 2015.
Most recently, Serbinis was the co-founder and CEO of Kobo Inc., a global digital reading company. Kobo was founded in December 2009 as a spinoff from Canadian bookseller Indigo Books and Music. In its first year, Kobo drove $110M in sales and quickly became the only global competitor to Amazon Kindle. In 2012, Serbinis sold Kobo to Japanese electronic commerce and Internet company Rakuten for $315M. In 2014, Kobo reached 20-million users in 190 countries.
Serbinis is the founder of Three Angels Capital and a G7 Fellow at the Creative Destruction Lab at Rotman School of Management. He is also a member of the Board of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, the Founder's Board at Round 13 Capital, and Board of Trustees at the Ontario Science Centre. Serbinis is also a member of the Young Presidents’ Organization. In 2013, Serbinis joined the OMERS Ventures advisory board to support entrepreneurs.
Prior to Kobo, Serbinis founded and sold DocSpace for $568M in 2000 to Critical Path. Critical Path was a global provider of messaging services that ran one-third of the world’s email. Earlier in Serbinis’ career he developed Internet routing technology at Microsoft and search engine technology at Zip2 which sold to Altavista for $300M.
Serbinis has an interest in science and technology and while in high school designed a high temperature superconductor propulsion system that won Gold at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, and subsequently led him to work with NASA, Rockwell Aerospace and Intel. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering Physics from Queen’s University and a Masters of Science in Financial Engineering from the University of Toronto.
- "Kobo founder launches health-care start up". Toronto Star. 12 November 2014.
- "Kobo CEO Mike Serbinis talks tablets, Rakutan and more". Canadian Business. 6 September 2012.
- "Did Indigo Build Kobo, or Did Entrepreneur Mike Serbinis?". Tech Vibes. 9 November 2011.
- "$315-million Kobo takeover deal a windfall for Indigo". The Globe and Mail. 8 November 2011.
- "From Pinterest to Kobo, how Japan's Rakuten is building a global internet giant". Wired Magazine. 22 August 2012.
- "Ken Nickerson, Michael Serbinis, and Steven Woods Join OMERS Ventures Advisory Board". OMERS Venture. 5 February 2013.
- "Mike Serbinis Introduces Kobo's Fall Lineup". YouTube. 28 August 2013.
- "Kobo Founder and CEO Mike Serbinis at AccelerateTO!". C100. 18 September 2013.
- "SPOTLIGHT ON SCIENCE LEARNING: A benchmark of Canadian talent". Let's Talk Science.
- Michael Serbinis on Twitter
|This Canadian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Ontario-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|