Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School
The UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School is the business school of University College Dublin, located in Blackrock in Dublin, Republic of Ireland, on the site of the former Carysfort College, a teacher training college.
It is the only business school in Ireland and one of a small group of schools worldwide to hold the ‘triple crown’ of accreditation from the three centres of business and academic excellence. These accreditations benchmark it against the best in the world and position UCD Smurfit School on the global map. Attaining these accreditations requires them to continually evaluate and enhance their own courses and programmes.
The Smurfit School is a member institution of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB), the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS), the quality improvement system administered by the European Foundation for Management Development, and the Association of MBAs. The school is also a member of the Global Alliance in Management Education, an alliance of 26 academic institutions and over 50 leading multinational corporations.
The Economist Intelligence Unit ranked the full-time MBA programme 31st (in 2010) and 38 (in 2011 ) in the world and the only Irish business school to gain a place in the rankings of the "top 100" schools. The Financial Times ranked the school in the world's top 100 full-time MBA programs. The newspaper ranked the Smurfit School's executive MBA programme 54th in the world and 20th in Europe.
‘Triple Crown’of Accreditation
- AACSB: The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International is the USA-based body, which awards accreditation following a review of the quality of Degree programmes delivered by each Management School.
- EQUIS: This is the quality improvement system administered by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development) throughout Europe. EQUIS is awarded on the basis of quality controls on the entire range of activities within an institution.
- AMBA: The Association of MBAs is a British-based organisation that concentrates specifically on MBA programmes and accredits those that reach its standards.
- Banking & Finance
- Industrial Relation & Human Resources
- International Business
- Business Management
UCD Smurfit School offers a broad range of full-time and part-time postgraduate business programmes.
- Full-Time MBA
- Executive MBA
- MSc Accounting
- MSc Finance
- Business Analytics
- iBusiness - Innovation through ICT
- International Business
- MA Management
- Management Consultancy
- Digital Marketing
- General Management
- Project Management
- Research Masters (MPhil)
- Human Resource Management
- Doctoral Studies
- Executive Education
- Master in Management by Distance Learning
Alumnus of the Year
2011 - Patrick Kennedy BComm ‘90, DipPrAcc ‘91
2010 - Michael Carey BComm '83 MBS '84
2009 - Prof. Michael MacCormac BComm ‘47, BA ‘47, MA ‘48, MComm ‘61, DEconSc ‘81
2008 - Gina Quin BA '80, MBA '88
2007 - Tony Garry MBS '77
2006 - Liam Fitzgerald MBS '87
2005 - Ned Sullivan MBS '73
2004 - Patrick Haren MBA '86
2003 - Richard Keatinge MBA '78
2002 - Michael Somers BComm '64
2001 - Gerry Murphy MBS '83
2000 - Vivienne Jupp MBS '75
1999 - Jerry Liston MBA '68
1998 - Maurice Keane Bcomm '63
1997 - Roy Douglas MBS '72
1996 - Brian Sweeney MBA '75
1995 - John Teeling BComm '66
1994 - Thomas Toner MBA '66
1993 - Richard Hooper BComm '66
1992 - George Moore MBS '73
1991 - Maurice Foley BComm '69, MBA '69